Bright flash in Hammer

Snowbat

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 23, 2013
Hello guys,
Lets say that in my map, at some point, I want to spawn a really big and bright flash in my map, like the flash of an exploding nuke for example... how would one achieve this? I could use an env_screenoverlay that quickly fades in to complete white or light yellow and then more slowly fades back out but I don't know if that entity can do that (especially the fade in and out part)
Or I could use an env_lightglow and make it really big and bright...
Or maybe there's an other, better and good looking way I'm not thinking of. Does anyone have any more suggestions? The flash would only last for a few seconds. It's really like a detonating nuke: sudden bright flash that fades back to normal more slowly after a few seconds.
Thanks!

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
Take a look at sd_doomsday, they have a nice flash when the rocket crashes.

Snowbat

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 23, 2013
Hmmm. I thought about env_fade but I think it only goes to black right? And I need it in white. I'll have a look at it.

And good suggestion for sd_doomsday.

Thanks

blue9075

L1: Registered
Jul 15, 2015
Hmmm. I thought about env_fade but I think it only goes to black right? And I need it in white. I'll have a look at it.

You can completely customize the fade colour & time of an env_fade, it's fun to work with when you know how to use it. :p