Branching Payload

Spacek531

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 28, 2012
Instead of taking 1 payload through 3 control points, take 3 payloads to 1 control point in 3 different routes, or 3 control point on 3 different routes. If someone has already done this, please send a link because I would like to see it.

As I envisioned it, this type of payload would be played in a single round.

OGituKQ.png

I made a proof of logic last night and the results were successful. Surprisingly, TF2 can handle this style of payload, and the basic payload logic is unchanged. The team_train_watcher is set up in the normal way, with each control point set, and the end path set to the final control point’s path_track. The path_track under each control point is also set up the same aside from extra events to manipulate the cart and track, and the lack of events to stop the cart from rolling back (since the cart will be back at the start).

Along the route, alternate routes of two path_track are set. When a control point is capped, the alternate path for the next control point is enabled.

EDIT 2: the UI does not update every time the cart's route changes. If all three routes are about the same length, you can get away with the above, but if they are not then a different approach is required.

Potential issues:

For a payload track length similar to that of existing payload maps (i.e. start to 1st control point), the map sizes for both loop and tree configurations will be small. Loop configuration may have replayability issues unless considerable thought is taken; the same point is being captured 3 times. Tree configuration may have issues with defender mobility. Both configurations will have issues with very strong initial pushes after the 1st control point is captured as defenders have no time to setup unless the payload is broken into 3 stages. However, with one route being taken each stage, the initial push will be the same each round unless considerable thought is taken.

I am not a very experienced mapper, and I know I am not skilled enough to make a map of this kind work well. What are your thoughts on this kind of payload?

Last edited:

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Wait, so tf2 can handle multiple carts owned by the same team?
How will hud be handled though?

nvm, I thought there were 3 carts starting at the same time

I think the loop formation can be more unique than tree formation because tree can simply degrade down to multistage payload jammed into a single stage. With the loop formation, you can probably make something like pl_steel where blu can attack the last point from multiple angle

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2014
I believe the early versions of Snowplow kinda worked like this, where if you capped a point in a certain time you unlocked a shorter path.

Spacek531

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 28, 2012
This idea is somewhat similar to fishladder, but not close to snowplow as far as I understand its development. Branching payload does not have any player interaction with the route: the route is either randomly chosen or is played in a specific order. It's an alternate interpretation of a single-stage payload map. Instead of 3 control points with a single route, it's the same control point (or totally separate ones) with different routes.

This is not to say that a branching payload map couldn't work as multiple rounds. In fact it makes the logic far more simple. But I prefer it to be a single round because I think it would make for more unique gameplay to force attackers to head allll the way back to their spawn after capping and force defense to chase after them. But while the idea is (mostly) unique, I don't know that much about TF2 gameplay and balancing.

Last edited: