Brain blocked when mapping

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Washipato, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Washipato

Washipato L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know if this happens to only me, but well, anyway...

Sometimes when I map for a long time, I start to fly aimlessly in hammer, looking at the brushes and logic entities or arranging them in new ways.

Or after coding a new feature for the map, compiling and testing, I spend several minutes after doing the work fooling around the full-bright version of the map and discover that 20 minutes of mapping were wasted

Has someone had the same issue that I do or Im special? :O

2. psihomir

psihomir L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Take a break. It happens with everyone who's involved in something creative.

When I notice that I'm losing my concentration and I'm just mindlessly roaming around in Hammer, I close it and fire up a game or go for a walk or something. I've found that forcing myself to continue mapping under these circumstances only leads to stupid design decisions which I make just so that I can keep mapping.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I find myself flying around in hammer sometimes when I'm not sure of what to do. Then I close hammer and do something else o_O

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, when that happens you must take a break. It happens to writers and artists too - artists start to sketch around for no reason, writers keep rewriting the same sentences over and over again.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Eternal

Eternal L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just came BACK from a break myself. As a few of you may or may not have noticed I had disapeered for a bit there. I just sort of hit a hump in my work and had to stop for a bit.

I find I get these sort of moments after I've just done a lot of work and completed or nearly completed a section of the map (like I've setup and mostly detailed a particular building or something) I just sort of dread moving on to a new section, or have no inspiration for how to do a new section. Usually I force myself through em and its for the better, but after a couple of those you just HAVE to stop for a bit and play the game (or even another game entirely)

Interestingly enough its also good to take a break because I find when I'm working on my tf2 map, I have little interest in actually PLAYING tf2 but if you take a break from maping play some other games, and maybe even try and get into tf2 again you'll find inspiration and rekindle your enjoyment of the game.

6. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    A play test usually helps me (although, I'm still in the early stages of my map where there's tonnes of stuff to do) I just go engy with my build sentry out to find good spots, or Soldier to test how all my jumps are going..

7. Lockhart

Lockhart L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah I had a 4 hour mapping sessions on Tue. because I was sick. I didn't stop mapping because I always have something to do, but I sure was getting sick of it. Got on the next day and had a blast.

8. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    It happens. Just do something else for a while and go back to it after.