Boxing-DM_JeffGoldblum_Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

superkoffee

L1: Registered
Oct 3, 2009
My first map in hammer. I am rather new to hammer and am still figuring things out.
JEFF GOLDBLUM
This map is intended to be a Boxing/Deathmatch map.
The theme is Jeff Goldblum, but there are other elements.
Rooms: Top Floor
Goldblum Lobby:- Portraits of Jeff Goldblum each with a sound clip upon hit.
Teleports to Boxing/Melee Area.
Elevator to Mid-Floor and water pit
Boxing Area: 3 Rooms for Boxing/Melee. 5 Rings.
Mid-Floor: Nothing here yet. Pipes to water pit are found here.
Water Pit: Pit Of Water. There is a room to teleport you out.

There are empty areas/areas that could use some content. I haven't decided what to put in them yet. Stay tuned for version 1.

Due to custom content, mostly the sounds, this map is 215 mb. Deal with it?

This is the first beta release. There are bugs, nothing that deters Gameplay. The few bugs are texture breaks, the usual. You'll probably only find them if you look for them. Let me know of anything you'd like to see in this map and stuff you'd like fixed.

I have received numerous complaints regarding the lighting in most/certain areas.
I personally prefer the current lighting, but if complaints persist I will change the lighting in the next update.
Updates to come. Next update will be be Version 1 instead of beta.

I made this map for my personal enjoyment and figured might as well release it.
I am aware it's a bit of a different map folks on here like.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Further idocy will result in the thread being locked.

Constructive criticizm is what we go for here, if you can't something useful then go spam up some other forum: facepunch, steam forums, I don't care.

Also: please change the thumbnail image to one of the map rather than Goldblum so i dont have to.

Last edited:

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
You should probably compress all those textures if it's totaling 215 MB. Cut down a few frames on the animated ones? Or delete the... non-Jeff Goldblum ones? I.E. "Send Link..."

superkoffee

L1: Registered
Oct 3, 2009
You should probably compress all those textures if it's totaling 215 MB. Cut down a few frames on the animated ones? Or delete the... non-Jeff Goldblum ones? I.E. "Send Link..."

This is the beta, and towards the end I did rush it a little bit. I made this map for my own personal enjoyment, and Infatuation for Jeff Goldblum. I just wanted to get to a point to release it. I intend to work on it some more, add more, fix errors, etc. I just wanted to put what i had so far out for the time being.

Version 1 will likely have more Jeff Goldblum and less Non Jeff Goldblum. However, being a map for my enjoyment, it will probably continue to have other references that I find humorous.

I will take into account all that you folks say and will keep them in mind as I continue to work on it. For now, I will leave this beta as is.

As for the nasty file size, that is thanks to the plethora of sound files I embedded. I am not very sure on how to efficiently compress the files. If one of you more than knowledgeable folks could pass on that information, that would be TASTY.

DropBox: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2301006/Boxing-DM_JeffGoldblum_Beta.rar

Keep Jeff Goldblum in your hearts.

Last edited:

Artesia

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 11, 2008
I can see this killing gameday

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
in jeff we trust

Artesia

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 11, 2008
It's almost as bad as [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUjW4jkb_zo"]YouTube - oh god it's the worst tf2 map ever don't look[/ame]

Delusibeta

L3: Member
Mar 21, 2009
I think the maximum size a map can be on a server is something like 60Mb. And frankly, any DeathMatch map that can't be put on a server is a bit pointless. When you can get this map down to 60Mb, then we'll talk.

Feb 14, 2008
It's not chaotic enough.

In all seriousness... why would anybody want to play a huge map with pictures of Jeff Goldblum everywhere. Sam Neill was so much better in Jurassic Park.

Delusibeta

L3: Member
Mar 21, 2009
Whatever you're drinking, it's strong stuff.
Well then, feel free to point out where I'm wrong.

I doubt anyone is going to want to download a 200Mb map in-game anyway.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
If you made this map for personal enjoyment, is there really any need to release it?

I mean that's kinda what a personal project is. Personal. Not public.

edit: as for the 60mb arguement, Youme had trouble with his now official pl_hoodoo with server hosts complaining that the map file size was too large; and ended up cutting down on custom materials to bring it from 90 MB to around 60~70.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.