Bots won't use stairs

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by NicholasOwens, Feb 2, 2016.

1. NicholasOwens

NicholasOwens L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Is there a way to make bots go up stairs on my map? It works fine for me but i just like to know. And see how gameplay is like with my map

2. Fantasma

aa Fantasma

Positive Ratings:
    Hello, The nav mesh is what bots use to move around, and it basically splits areas up into little shapes, with attatchments and links to state which ones you can move between, it appears that the stairs may not have this attatchment, or a shape at all.

For more info about this system, look here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Navigation_Meshes

What you likely need to do, is use the commands listed here to figure out and fix the problem: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Navigation_Mesh_Commands

3. theatreTECHIE

aa theatreTECHIE Yet another Techie for the net...

Positive Ratings:
    I remember that when this happened to me when I was starting out mapping I didn't clip my stairs, and the nav_generate command didn't automatically realize that stairs were stairs all the time.

Try using player clips or block bullets on your stairs to make them ramps that look like stairs. This will also make sure that the view of the player doesn't vibrate as they walk up the stairs, and when people jump while going up the stairs they don't hit the vertical part of a stair and get stopped from going forward.

That being said, don't use bots to test the gameplay of your map, as bots play a lot differently to people. If you want to test the gameplay of your map, release it to the site and have it played in either an impromptu test or a gameday.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. NicholasOwens

Positive Ratings:
    well i do have a server but the port won't work and i got some friends that can test it with me.

5. NicholasOwens

Positive Ratings:
    How do i use player clips? Im new to these textures that do different stuff

6. Fantasma

aa Fantasma

Positive Ratings:
    Make a brush, and make it its texture on all sides, nothing more to it. Now it'll be an invisible physical brush. It is commonly used to turn stairs into ramps, as they work much better with the game.

7. Lain

aa Lain Resident wrong opinion holder

Positive Ratings:
    Bot's are terrible, don't use them to test gameplay. They don't even jump a lot of the time and never flank or use any tactics beyond one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. theatreTECHIE

Positive Ratings:
  9. NicholasOwens

Positive Ratings:
    well i used player clip and its invisible but still colidable

10. NicholasOwens

Positive Ratings:
    I guess ill post it on here to test it with other people. Is there a place to post maps at to test?

11. theatreTECHIE

Positive Ratings: