MVM Botfort

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
I've always wanted to use the medieval theme but never liked melee-only. So this will be a medieval theme (but not medieval mode) MvM map!

Currently planning it out, have a crappy map picture.

Last edited:

soylent robot

May 26, 2009
holy shit im actually doing something
botfort1_zps83e4ac6a.jpg

area going towards bomb pit
botfort2_zps9da044ff.jpg

area the robots come from
botfort3_zpsf8bb1938.jpg

numbers 1 to 4 are the robot routes.

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
Medieval theme always runs the risk of being way too brown, but it doesn't have to. Throw in some nice green grass or something! I know it's alpha, but if you've started texturing, should texture interestingly.

Also, the map looks quite small from the screenshots. while it's hard to tell the scale from static images, I can see on the overhead that there's a platform that overlooks the spawn on one side and the control point on the other, which could be too powerful as the red team doesn't have to move to defend the point. If you look at all the official maps, they have a powerful spot at the start of the map that the robots eventually overwhelm, at which point the red team's forced to retreat, normally to the cap - that's where things get interesting, they have to stick together in the chaos, try and push back, etc.

soylent robot

May 26, 2009
Hopefully it won't be so brown when i've finished detailing!
And the map is probably far too small. There are a few high places for the defenders to put sentries and defend from, but the final area doesnt have much cover, so it gets a bit frantic. we'll see when i test it properly

chocolatekake

L1: Registered
Feb 3, 2013
I'm really liking the look of this map. The medieval theme fits really well with the defensive gameplay of MVM. I've tried playing around a bit on it and I've noticed a couple things.

These little teeth things (apparently called merlons?) seem like they might a little restrictive for sentries.
eEi1OQ5.jpg

Since you have to place sentries behind the little ledge between them, their sightlines are smaller and less effective.

Also this area between the lanes seems a little too wide to me.
LQeoxRX.jpg

Unless you don't plan on having players traverse the area, maybe make it a little smaller? Or you could add some props to fill some space.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you caught it, but this space between the walls here seems accidental.
YrVz3Jo.jpg

0WzHyFN.jpg

Overall the map seems pretty neat and I'm excited to see more detailing as you keep working on this one! I also hope you plan on adding the palisades back in :)

Last edited:

soylent robot

May 26, 2009
thanks for the feedback ^^

yeah, the merlons, while pretty, do get in the way. ill have to knock some holes in them so sentries can work. ill probably get the palisades added back in during detailing