Bot_generator hard-crashes TF2

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Enterim

L1: Registered
May 19, 2016
Hi, I was working on an extremely simplified proof-of-concept mockup for a single-player/co-op mode involving fixed bot spawns with simple instructions via a system of bot_generators, bot_rosters, and bot_action_points. Right now it's a RED spawn room, a neutral room, and a raised BLU spawn room. The BLU bot_generator is on the ground, so the BLU spawn room is unused. I believe I generated a nav mesh successfully that wasn't in need of any edits due to how simple the room is. The action points are two miscellaneous points in the room that the bot is instructed to taunt upon reaching before going to the next one.

When I compiled and went to test it, spawning in as a RED soldier, a randomly-named heavy bot joins BLU like he should after the Waiting for Players period, but hard-crashes the game a few seconds after he spawns. If I host_timescale .2 and noclip through the spawn wall, I can see him target me and start shooting, which he can do successfully. I can even die to him and respawn before the game crashes. But it indeed hard-crashes to desktop every time, not even giving an error message.

Does anyone know what is causing this? If I had to guess I would think it's related to the bot trying to move or the lack of game logic in the map yet, but it doesn't crash when I delete the bot_generator entity or disable it from enabling on round start. And I would expect the bot to just stand still if the action points were broken rather than to crash.

I've tested it both on windows and OS X and get the same crash each time. I tried the compiler error checker but my only error is a non-HDR skybox texture.

BSP and VMF are below. Thank you for any help you can offer, either related to this crash or the bot entities in general (I am not certain which are MvM-exclusive and would prefer to work on my gamemode outside of MvM or SourceMod).

Last edited:

Enterim

L1: Registered
May 19, 2016
Bump—can anyone offer me even a small amount of guidance on this? I have still not managed to make any progress.