KotH borehole

Phenol

L1: Registered
Jan 13, 2013
35 hours in Source SDK, and more and more I'm starting to see this website less as a community and more as a support group for Hammer addicts. koth_borehole is my first map, and as such a majority of the map was me practicing my brushes while blocking out one of my more favored map sketches. Because of this, the scale is slightly off, though I can't say for certain if the map is still redeemable. In any case, here's to hundreds of more hours in Hammer.

A Boojum Snark for his Mapping Resources Pack
Ravidge for his Lighting Library Lite
YM for JOINER (because I am not hardcore enough to brush by hand)

--Phenol

Last edited:

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
We actually are a support group for hammer addicts. We just fake it with a community.

Last edited:

Deodorant

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2011
Nah, if TF2maps was a support group we'd be supporting each other. We're basically just a bunch of Hammer addicts sitting around a burning trashcan and throwing rat carcasses at each other.

From the screenshots, I'd say the map looks surprisingly good for your level of experience. The height differences seem way too big and some doorways and things look cramped, but you have an actual layout rather than just a big square room full of HL2 props. That's a promising start!

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
Nah, if TF2maps was a support group we'd be supporting each other. We're basically just a bunch of Hammer addicts sitting around a burning trashcan and throwing rat carcasses at each other.

That's incredibly true.

Fish 2.0

Nov 22, 2012
It often happens a lot to new mappers, that scale thing.

Your outside is too big, and your indoor/control point area is too small. Fix that up and I think you would have a map that is starting to come together ;)

Fish 2.0

Nov 22, 2012
You know what your maps needs? A big ass bore above the point.

When the game is over it drills into the control point.

Phenol

L1: Registered
Jan 13, 2013
Heh, thanks for the suggestions, but I think I'll be moving on from this map right now. It was really an experiment with brushes and basic mapping skills, and I think that in the future, should I choose to remake it, I could do it a lot cleaner from the start.

Thanks for the encouragement and tips, though!

--Phen