Borderlands...Hmmm

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SiniStarR, Oct 2, 2009.

1. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well this game,Borderlands, has been out in development for a while and I kinda forgot about it until earlier this year when they went to a cel-shaded style that is easy on the eyes. Anyways I was looking really foreword to picking this up when it's released but now... im on the fence. You see, I watched this video Here

As I watched it (ignoring the co-op part mind you) I just looked at it and started thinking...how lame it looks. The AI in the video just stood there watching themselves die, and playing seemed to just to be generic as ever just with a few RPG elements intertwined. I was hoping this would be a great replacement for Fallout 3, but as I watched this video I'm questioning it. I dont know, maybe it's just me, afterall I did JUST finished Killzone 2 which has a great cover system and weapon system and isn't the usual run and gun kinda game.

But what do you think? Does Borderlands still seem worth it?

2. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Take a look at some other stuff. Gearbox has mentioned that they've only shown a slice of what's apart of Borderlands. To help prove this, they released a few screenshots of other tougher enemies.

http://kotaku.com/5368167/borderlands-introduces-the-crimson-lance

Apparently they even go as far as to say what they've shown you is the "noobie area"

Either way, I'd much rather spend my hard-earned cash for this then any of the other games coming out in the next few months.

3. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Boy it seems to combine the worse of both worlds...

Terrible AI, Retarded leveling systems, dodgy graphics masqueraded as "artsy" cell shade, uninspired linearity of "grind here, level up, move to next area" gameplay, characters and enemies that can absorb ten million billion bullets before they die...

... And that's just from this trailer and that article Jack posted... Shudder to think what else they haven't unraveled yet.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. J4CK8

J4CK8 L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    The ai in that certainly looks terrible. One pistol shot every ten seconds...unless that's basicly in ULTRA MEGA SUPER DUPA EASY training level which would still be a bit too easy.

Even so, I don't think this game is on my list of games-to-buy.

5. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    This is a low quality video on the easiest difficulty with terrible weapons.

6. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I feel like you're passing very harsh judgement on what I think will be a quality game from a trailer or two.

7. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I was really hyped about this a while ago when it was being labeled as a MMOFPS, but what happened to that? Maybe I just misunderstood. Now I'm hearing stuff about 4-player online co-op, which is not nearly as interesting. The gameplay just doesn't look fun.

I can understand their philosophy on not wanting to show the later parts of the game, but look at what that does to their audience. No one thinks the low level starting areas look fun, obviously, and since that is the only part shown, it gives a terrible impression.

8. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think they're sortof confused between FPS with RPG aspects and an actual FPSMMORPG (which I honestly don't want to see).

Also, I couldn't agree more... but then again all will be revealed in 3 weeks when it's out. I honestly think this is going to be a flop. It's too innovated and creative to be popular, and since it isn't another Halo clone people are going to hate it. (Yes, I have that little faith in gamers.) But I'm still pre-ordering it. It's something new and creative (not to mention artistic). I was already sold on the post-apocalyptic setting, and even if they're not actually hiding other visually varying areas to fight it, the randomizer of weapons and co-op will make up for it anyways.

Just about to sign into steam. Anyone else care to join me?

9. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:
    I'm going to wait and see if this game is something new or something trying to be new

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Well, it's Gearbox. When someone with those standards comes around with something that appears to be new and innovative, if it isn't, it's still a damn fun game.

11. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well my roommate said he is gonna get it regardless for his 360, so I guess I'll be able to see if he flys or burns to the ground.

12. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    That's their fault for not showing good things.

That said, been browsing around for other gameplay videos, and it still seems like a cartoony version of fallout3, with co-op.

"Meh".