CP bootcamp

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Jusa, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Jusa

aa Jusa

Positive Ratings:
    Decided to try a 5cp map after improving my mapping skills a lot with Ramjam.

Bootcamp is going to be a 5cp military training camp themed map. Going to release the first playable version in the near future ( Within the next two weeks or so. )

Theme might be influenced by my time in the military.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  2. Kraken

Kraken Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess

Positive Ratings:
    Hoping this map has as good gameplay as ramjam.

3. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Ah, reminds me of playing Half-Life Deathmatch maps in TFC. Good times.

4. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    That was actually the first thing i was thinking about when i heard the name. boot_camp was by far my favorite HLDM map if you had enough players.

5. Jusa

aa Jusa

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  6. Jusa

aa Jusa

Positive Ratings:
    BOOM! Surprise, it's valve time!

[a1] First shitty release

7. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Sweet. Looking forward to playing this.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Jusa

aa Jusa

Positive Ratings:
    I really like mid but the other two points are just not amusing me. I did like 3 different layouts before coming up with something even a bit acceptable. But what ever its just a silly map :-D

9. HQDefault

aa HQDefault ...what

Positive Ratings:
    Must resist the urge to put down joke as first post on this map. (Like I always do)

Dammit, I didn't resist.

Anyway, now I need to post something serious.
    Your last point looks simply AMAZING. Not sure how it will play, but it looks like just the perfect balance of norm and not norm a map needs. Brilliant.

2nd doesn't look bad, the point itself just looks... strange. But that's just an opinion.

Not much to say about mid. It's a mid. And given the way fights at mid work, they're the hardest to mess up (I think, but I'm not sure. As far as I can tell, it's basically which ever team survives to take it, so, yeah, hard to screw up). So, it probably works fairly well.

I do like the military theme. This feels like something that should've been added to TF2 a while ago.

The only thing in the map that really bugs me is in your 4th screenshot. To the right, a demo could easily spam towards mid with ease and safety, or from mid to second. That might need to be covered up. (I would suggest a larger fence, I like the transparency)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    The slanted second point looks really interesting. It's like what Di Gorgonzola was planning for last on cp_salty. Not sure how that point will play atm, but I like the style.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. takabuschik

aa takabuschik

Positive Ratings:
    After seeing your 2nd, I wish there were vehicles in tf2. I want to jump up that ramp so badly.
    But I guess demomen can do it anyways. Can't wait to find out!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Jusa

aa Jusa

Positive Ratings:
    I know right, never seen anything so crazy! :-D

13. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    I've seen some shit.

14. Jusa

aa Jusa

Positive Ratings:
    [a2] A small update to make it a bit more playable for the first tests

15. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    Hey we did play the map during the gameday and I have some minor thoughts about the map but just kinda overall feelings. I don't really know 5cap well enough to understand how points are usually attacked or if points felt too easy to attack or not, or if routes felt good, I don't know..!

Overall I got lost a lot. Most areas of the map are the same textures and same general feel, and I had a hard time positioning it all in my head. For instance I confused these two areas since they looked similar (not even a texture difference on the ground):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think simply just making some transitions of base facades overall would help with this, even if just:
    blue dev - grey dev - wood/dark grey dev- grey dev - red dev

[​IMG]

I guess it felt like last was hard to hold adequately, and maybe mid was hard to have a combined force to attack, but even that second point could just be because of the 'everything looks the same' feeling mentioned previously. /shrug Sorry, I just don't know 5cp.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. Tinker

aa Tinker

Positive Ratings:
    From the HH map night:

This is a really fun, clear map that's awesome for vertical combat and scout (always a good sign). The only big thing right now is that some flanks could be signposted better, but that's mainly something for detailing. You should totally have a lobby with this ran or throw it to some comp teams, they'd love it.

A few minor things:
    - That ramp next to mid is VERY steep. Like, ridiculously so. TF2 doesn't have ramps that steep, rework that a little.
    - The side corridor leading from second to last is often traversed by people but for little reason except its visibility - it's not really that useful and gets you very far from the point. It could use a cubbyhole with some health or something to make it a proper place to push from.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. KubeKing

Server Staff KubeKing dan's birthday was fun too

Positive Ratings:
    Quick! Don't... move... a... muscle! Tinker, look at all your post/thanks stats!

This is absolutely... gorgeous.

Edit: Keepin' the dream alive-

[​IMG]

Oh, and the map looks great. That too.

Last edited: May 24, 2015