bob needs displacement help!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by bob+M|M+, May 23, 2008.

1. bob+M|M+

bob+M|M+ L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think I may be doing displacements wrong... whenever I displace multiple brushes the grids don't match up and I can't fix it with sewing nor manually. The result is both obvious and ugly in-game. I could really use some help.

Image 1
    [​IMG]

Image 1 close-up
    [​IMG]

Image 2
    [​IMG]

Thanks
    bob

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    To sew displacements, they need to either match fully on the side, or be exactly half. I'll dig around on the wiki, see if I can find the pictures there.

3. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, you just have to resize everything and make a bunch of different faces. So they both cover the area and align with eachother.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Just get the clipping tool and clip them in half untill they match sometimes you have to have a really small one or a stretched one to make everything fit.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Juice

Juice L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, I was wondering this question too. Thanks everyon!

7. bob+M|M+

Positive Ratings:
    youme, clip and sew worked like a charm :)

This one is completely fixed and looks perfect in-game
    [​IMG][/URL]

but I'm still having trouble with this one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking it has something to do with being a full block displacement instead of a surface displacement.. guess I'll redo it with surface displacements only. trial and error is a bitch

8. DasMatze

DasMatze L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Delete all the faces you can't see like ones on the side of a displacement. Select it while the displacement window is open and click on destroy.

DasMatze

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. bob+M|M+

Positive Ratings:
  10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Nice, you've still got a missalign against the wall, an inch from the bottle....

But you've got the concept of displacements now. The possibilities are endless

11. Ace

Ace L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    How right Youme is...

Displacements are a gift and a burden, I have a massive cliff and loads of tunnles in the map I am making. Displacements make it easy to get the shape that I want but because I am such a perfectionist I have done each of the 10,000+ nodes individually. Taken ages, but when it is finished it will probaly (I hope) hold up to even Youme's critical displacment eyes.

I guess what I am trying to say is, you need to play with it but don't go over the top. Valve maps have displacement errors that you have probably never noticed so a small fault here or there wont get noticed. If you do spend ages on them just remember they will probably not be noticed and only do them to your level of satisfaction not anybody else's after all it's your map.

12. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Its true, hydro has some terrible gaps but none of them are particularly easy to spot
    and goldrush, since they updated it the otherday has got a bit of ground displacement missalign at red spawn round 1