Blurry textures and backface culling on Blender-exported props

nekomaster1000

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2021
Hi! I'm very new to TF2 mapping, and in trying to replicate a cross-texture Fungus from Minecraft in Source, for whatever reason Blender exports the model with backface culling and Linear-based textures instead of Closest-based ones (non-blurry nearest-neighbour style) despite me specifically tweaking those settings beforehand.
Subsequently, my model turns invisible from behind and has slight blurry white lines on it.
My VTF is perfectly clean so I can only assume this is a Blender-side set of problems. Anything I can do to fix it?
unknown.png

Here's an image for context: You can see the blurry white lines on the sides of it, it sucks.

Attachments

• CrimFung.PNG
    CrimFung.PNG
    60.8 KB · Views: 86

nekomaster1000

L1: Registered
Sep 5, 2021
Berk on the TF2Maps Discord has come to the rescue! Here's what I had to do in case anybody else deals with this too:

1. Add these to your VMT
"$nocull" 1 // nocull makes it visible from both sides
"$alphatest" 1 //alphatest gives good transparency

2. And in the VTF, enable No Minmap and No Level of Detail, with the alpha format set to ARGB8888 so it isn't compressed.
Close and Reopen Hammer if you're using it to preview this stuff, and voila! Thanks again, Berk!

Attachments

• Fungy.PNG
    Fungy.PNG
    475.7 KB · Views: 77

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
As for the texture blurring, the Point Sample checkbox in the texture properties will make them behave correctly. You can even just convert the original 16x16 PNG to a VTF rather than waste space upscaling it.