Blueline (Control Points - Assault)

Melt

L1: Registered
Jul 20, 2010
cp_blueline_b1 - Version Beta 1v2 -

bluelineposterb1.jpg

Blueline is a single-round assault map in an urban setting. BLU team emerges from a subway station to attempt to capture RED's control points: a fountain courtyard on street level, and then an indoor arboretum on the second floor, and then _____________.

The action takes place across five levels of vertical space, with many areas only certain classes can reach.

BLU has three (4 built, 1 disabled) exit gates from their spawn: Two on street-level and one on 1st story level.

RED has a 60 second set-up time with two exits from their spawn: A descending ramp and a drop through an elevator shaft.

------------status-------------
beta1 testing

----------to come-----------

>I'm planning on adding a third control point focusing on longer-range combat in the next version.
>Invisible walls will glaze over a lot of surfaces to make movement against world brushes smoother
>Texturing, lighting, props, details, etc etc will be changed and added in the next version to give the level an increasingly finished feel.

----------know issues------

--------------------------------

more screenshots forthcoming.

Thanks so much for any feedback! I'd love to see some responses to walkthroughs or playtests.

Last edited:

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
This concerns me:
"Brushes: 90%
Textures: 80%
Doors: 90%
Props and Details: 40%
Lighting: 50%
Optimization: 40%
Itemization: 50%
Invisible Barriers: 50%
Gameplay Testing/Balancing: 0%"

You've got almost all the brushing, texturing, half of the props and details, half lighting, half optimised, yet NO gameplay testing or balancing. It doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence for this map straight off the bat. I'd personally rather download a map that says "Gameplay Testing: 100%" and "Detailing 0%" because that shows you've put effort into making sure it's fun, rather than just pretty which can be done at any time.

It looks quite small, especially in this picture, it looks fairly cramped, even if it is the spawn. You can also see you've used the bluewindow prop as you can see the repeating bit falling off.

Try and get it into a gameday and we can get that "Gameplay tested: 0%" up to a good 30 or 40% :)

Melt

Jul 20, 2010
I've played it a ton with bots, just not real people... well noted though. Don't get me wrong, a lot will change as balancing comes into play, I have no doubts about that. Thanks and I'd appreciate any further feedback!

Last edited:

Ginger

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 29, 2010
Looks beautiful, looks like the metro level on Vegas 2

Melt

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks for the responses!

I will try and set up some play testing this week. At this stage, I want to see how people feel about the gameplay and work on balancing.

As always, any feedback is appreciated and I'd love it if people would give it a walkthrough and share what they think.

archy

Oct 10, 2009
about the design: nice and new ideas, definitely.

about the lay out: i think it will turn into a demoman spam war since there are tons of possibilities to spam grenades upwards over an edge. (at least it lokks like that in the screen shots)

besides that it looks like the BLU team has to fight a RED's team height advantage throughout the whole map. maybe not really what you are looking for as an attacker.

from what i can tell of the overview, it looks like cp1 is very close to BLU spawn and CP2 is very close to RED spawn, therefore creating a long way to go between those two points.

oh and yeah: a forward respawn is a must have for your map. without a forward respawn, an engi will be a must have :x

cheers,
archy

Melt

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks Archy

About the height advantage:
For CP1, RED has the definite height advantage, for CP2 RED still has a height advantage but less pronounced with a high balcony accessible by BLU, and CP3 is planned out so that BLU has the height advantage.

Melt

Jul 20, 2010
Thanks for the playtest, I think it will really help the map a lot.

Here's the major things that are going to change:

> BLU's concourse out of their spawn will get Team-Specific gates to make it easier for them to build up in there and attack CP1.

>BLU's getting a sheltered path to the staging area before CP2, so they can bypass CP1 after they cap it.

>Areas will become a little more spacious to alleviate some of the "cramped" feel

>The fountains will extinguish fire to alleviate pyro spamming.

>Glass problems will be fixed

EDIT: These problems have been addressed in the new version available for download.

Last edited: