Blue/black models glitch

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Player1, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Player1

Player1 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Recently I started restarted working on a map I made a while ago. I lost the original vmf, so I decompiled my last version of it. Whenever I run the map, some of my models turn bright blue or become totally back.

The first time I read the compile log, I did have a leak, which I then fixed and recompiled, however the problem continued. I later double checked my areaportals I remade, but they all seemed fine; later deleted them but the model error continued. Additionally I reloaded my cubemaps, and then made new ones, but neither fixed the problem. Finally to try fix them, I deleted and replaced some models with new ones, this worked on 1-2, but did not fix most of them. Desperate at this point, I played with changing them to dynamic or static props, but neither worked. Additionally I played with the model settings and later copy/pasted separate parts of the map into a new map files, but the same models still showed up as bright blue or black.

The only errors interlopers finds is "make_triangles:calc_triangle_representation: cannot convert", "found a displacement edge abutting multiple other edges", and "can't load skybox file skybox/sky_trainyard_01 to build the default cubemap!".

Using the first one's coordinates showed me my skybox, I checked each displacement and model, and later removed them, but this error stayed. The second one I checked most of my displacements, but I didn't find anything fitting the description interlopers has. The final one seems to be in most tf2 maps.

Help anyone? I've spent about 7+ hours trying to fix it :(

2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Missing materials cause models to take on the pink-black checkerboard, entire models turning blue and black sounds like a. a video card problem or b. the models using different materials. Could you post some pictures, maybe?

3. Player1

Positive Ratings:
    Now that I re-read that, it does sound like it was checker board, but it isn't.

A model that is loaded fine, next to a blue one, next to a black one, http://i.imgur.com/yXY66IF.jpg

The models do look like there is a leak, but I have not found any in my map, and no point file has been created. Most medieval brick models do this and a few rock ones, mainly rock008 if I recall.

The same models work in other maps, but not this one for some reason.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  4. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    It's maybe because they are into the wall. Try to use a info_lighting
    Or maybe you just used blue light? :>

5. Little Dude

Little Dude L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    To me it looks like it could be a lighting problem. When your map compiles, is vrad fully completing or is it being interrupted half way through? What are you compiling settings at?

6. Player1

Positive Ratings:
    I didn't use a blue light, and I don't have much knowledge with info_lighting, but I'll look into it. That photo's lighting is just from the skybox.

Vrad is fully completing, however for a few compiles it was saying vrad was completeting more than once. Perhaps it is still doing it twice, but I don't know why it would be.
    As for compile settings, I have everything on normal for hammer's + hdr, but I've been using vbct. Its set with hdr and is on full compile. But both are having the same problem.

7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, I thought your models were solid black and blue. But yeah, this is just how Source does lighting. Without $staticproplighting in the compile options, VRAD finds the origin of the model and shades the entire thing based on that single point; as you can see, that's not the best option for some models. Using $staticproplighting makes VRAD calculate shading on a per-vertex basis, meaning a model can be half-lit and half-shadowed. For more information, read this nodraw.net article. In your case, however, you can probably get away with just using info_lighting. Read up on the VDC if you don't know what it does/how to use it.

8. Player1

Positive Ratings:
    That fixed it, thanks