Blocking sprays on overlays?

Foxyfluff

L1: Registered
Nov 27, 2014
Is it possible to prevent people from spraying over certain overlays/logos in a map?

If so, how could this be done?

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
make it a brush entity, you can't spray over them (well most of them)

yoghurt

Aug 2, 2013
I don't really know if there is a setting for overlays like that.
But i guess you could fake an overlay with a 1 unit thick func_illusionary brush with the overlay texture on it.
(with invisible sides ofcourse)

that will just mean that the logo/overlay will be hovering 1 unit above the wall but that is almost unnoticable, even when you look for it.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Put a nonsolid, non-shadow casting, non-shadow receiving, 1u thick nodraw func_brush over the overlay

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Pretty sure it would need to be solid, otherwise the spraypaint tracer wouldn't hit it, and would get applied to the underlying wall.

Hm, that makes sense. In that case make the brush a pyramid shape so players slide off.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
Are sprays overlays or decals? If they're decals then they'll probably still render over unless you prevent the spray from bring sprayed in the first place, like someone suggested... If they're overlays, you might be able to abuse z-indexes to make the overlay render over them.

Foxyfluff

Nov 27, 2014
Appreciate the responses lads.

Will try some of the suggestions out and post results later.

ProselyteCanti

L2: Junior Member
Mar 27, 2014
preventing sprays is usually a dick move

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
"I can't put my picture of Fluttershy fisting Twilight Sparkle on this wall, wtf kind of shitty mapper made this"

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Especially because they don't have fists.

DonutVikingChap

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 15, 2013
Frankly, I agree that blocking sprays is bad (It feels dumb and inconsistent). But if it's just blocking it on important overlays as suggested and not an entire wall, there's no problem with that, and I actually want to know how to do that too. Isn't there a way to make it just always render over other decals like wareya suggested?

I'd also like to do it on windows, but perhaps just setting them to func_brush is enough.

Last edited: