Resource icon

KotH Blobland A1

Zuzak

L1: Registered
Jul 10, 2020
I've downloaded the map again, and I can't see any difference?

You may want to get into the habit of appending version numbers to your maps (e.g. "koth_blobland_a1"), so that if you ever decide to get feedback a map with real players, they don't accidentally get a version clash (and get disconnected from the server). It might also help avoid accidentally uploading the wrong version of a map. You might find this map release checklist helpful.

Your map's very pretty, but it's quite cramped.
It might benefit from a buffer-zone between the spawns and the midpoint -- a sightline from spawn to spawn is generally to be avoided (you want your players to have a chance to fight back, not get sniped immediately on spawn). Take a look at some Valve maps to see how they do it: you might find this UEAKCrash gameplay theory tutorial helpful.

The clips onto the balcony are also a bit strange: a better way to avoid enemy players entering a base is via the func_respawnvisualizers, as playerclips where people don't expect one can be disorienting: players usually expect to be able to rocketjump to the enemy, and being thwarted by an invisible wall isn't very fun. Consider redesigning your playarea to remove them, or otherwise justify them with a simple in-game reason (for example, by adding a ceiling)

StanleyLikesCyan

Sep 8, 2020
Oh, right I see, my mistake. I've just updated the map. The windows should be fixed now.

The reason why I added playerclip on the balcony instead of func_respawnvisualizers was because I encountered a lot of problems. For instance, whenever a class from let's say the blue team tried to exit their spawn room, the respawn room visualizer would block them from exiting the spawn room. Even though the visualizer was set to let the blue team through. (And vice versa for the red team). I should suggest you check out this video on why I made this decision and other decisions that I haven't covered here.
|
\/
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g52QERgx5JM

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Did you set an associated respawn room when you made the visualizers?
Also please change the map filename when you update, otherwise it causes errors for people who downloaded the previous version.

Zuzak

Jul 10, 2020
Your window is too close to the door prop, so when the door opens it's visible through the window:
upload_2020-9-15_18-5-50.png

You don't seem to be updating your version numbers. I just downloaded koth_blobland_a1.bsp, but as a previous version was also called koth_blobland_a1.bsp, it caused problems when I went to load it into Team Fortress 2. You should increment the counter on the filename of your compiled map (not just within the TF2Maps interface), so that repeated downloads never clash.

StanleyLikesCyan

Sep 8, 2020
I am incrementing the counter but I'm just not updating it. I've realized TF2 mapping isn't for me. I'm much better at making maps for Portal 2 instead. This was just a challenge I wanted to do. I don't even play TF2.