Blastoff

Puddy

L1: Registered
Dec 12, 2008
A single-stage payload map set in an abanoned industrial area purchased by RED from BLU. Now that BLU have been informed that RED are building a secret rocket base within the old structures they aim to thwart those plans!

It's a complete overhaul of the old blastoff-map. Atleast twice as good now.

LjtBuoQQY.png

OAQRaoEFN.png

cukRrPOSG.png

ILpzvEVvj.png

oLSiiHqlT.png

poPccehVM.png

qMBbLbdjb.png

gOrEbFhjB.png

Last edited:

Steff0o

L6: Sharp Member
May 31, 2009
nice

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
wow... this map looks awesome, I can't wait till I can play it. one thing I have noticed from the screenshots, it's a very long area with little to no cover, perfect for snipers. I think you should have a tad bit more cover, like those sniper fences from 2Fort. otherwise, great looking map.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Mmm, looks tasty. Can't wait to try it out.

kankle_king

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 31, 2009
Did a fly through and it looks fun. We're going to play it tonight for our Highlander. Just from looking at it by myself there were some things that worried me:

Really long to 1st cap, around 40% (?) of the map
There are a LOT of flanks/side buildings that might be a problem for BLU
Only 3 caps, IMO 4 is good b/c it keeps the round going

Just a couple of quick thoughts, I'll post STV tomorrow

kankle_king

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 31, 2009
Well we were all really excited to try this out, but only played 30 secs of it. The cart has a bug where if RED stops the cart by standing near the front of it, the cart completely stops. BLU can't push it until everyone gets off it and then back on. Was really looking forward to playing this, please fix that bug so we can give you a test.

Also, while you're at it, add another point to be capped. Everyone was saying you need another point so the rounds aren't short. Another thing we noticed was the room right after you cap the 1st point is REALLY small/chokey similar to Goldrush 1-2. IF you can, widen that room or do something to prevent teams from getting stuck there.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Looks good, but will it blend play well? that is the question.

Puddy

Dec 12, 2008
I can say this; crap.

We played this map 5vs5... and never got that issue (probably because it just never "happened").

I'll look into it. If anyone knows a probable cause let me know.

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Quite enjoyed playing this map yesterday, I ran around the map and took a load of photos and commented on what I did and didn't like about each one. It's not majorly indepth, but I hope you find this post useful :)

Cubemaps.
It hurts me D:

This area is really dark, boost the ambient lighting

Didn't know this healthpack even existed. It's in a really odd place, as well.

I really liked this area, was good for engineers and medics to get ready before a push, but with spies and soldiers being able to peek over the top and shoot down.

Not sure whether i'm concerned about this sightline or not - snipers have a good view of all three spawn exits and lots of time to dodge and escape from spam before it reaches them.

Erm, random medium healthpack in a weird and out of the way place? Not a fan

This is awkward to climb up, maybe change it to either steps or manually do the clipping yourself?

Random ammo pack in an odd position.

Super dark in here!

I always felt vulnerable from behind when capping that due to the large open gate. Even just a small psychological barrier that gives the impression of cover would stop me feeling so paranoid around there.

Clip this so you don't need to jump up

The clipping on that roof was really awkward and unnecessary to attempt to jump onto. I'd probably keep it so that single-jump classes CAN'T get up there though

Did I say it was dark in some areas?

This TV made me chuckle for some reason ;)

I kept assuming this door would open because of how it's placed and the fact the only other places I can remember it being used are places when it opens.

I feel really uncomfortable when standing here - not knowing when a Red soldier could just peek over and clear me out wasn't very nice. Not really sure about what can be done to remedy that though, or if anyone else felt the same.

Mahoosive sightline, spam and snipers can just go along through here.

Dear god cubemaps. Also the main reason I took this photo: either remove those railings or clip them all properly so I don't get stuck on them EVERYTIME I spawn

Really isn't clear enough that it's here, specifically if you naturally leave the spawn room in the other direction and miss it out completely.

This area is just a giant open flat square. It's really not that fun to fight on as it's too hard to close in on your enemy for a proper battle without getting spammed at.

The clipping on this log was really bad - I kept getting stuck trying to walk along the top and stuff.

I personally believe this should be a 1 way dropdown ala Goldrush, however then Red can't flank Blu at that area. However, considering that there's still a fair distance before the end of the track, and flanks further ahead, I'm not sure Red needs it.

Overall, very enjoyable map, can't wait to see the next version! :)

Puddy

Dec 12, 2008
Ehm... a bit awkard but...

Due to some IRL stuff I won't have the time to spare to complete this. Feels kind off brutal since I spent a full-time 3-day period overhauling this and had a pretty good playtest session.

I also have to patch my mod in the near future (www.precursormod.com) and will have even less time because of this.

So... gnargh.