1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Black squares on paint alpha?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by cornontheCoD, Apr 1, 2009.

1. cornontheCoD

cornontheCoD L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have made some displacements that have paint alpha, but when I compile them, in-game I get black squares across the texture.

here is a screenshot:
    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/580413/cap_point_cotc0001.jpg

I have had this before on my displacements in a different mini-map.

anyone know what's wrong?

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    That particular texture has no normal map, unless you make it one or change the .vmt file there is nothing you can do, find another texture.

3. cornontheCoD

Positive Ratings:
    Darn, it looked good in hammer, and I had it perfectly scaled and oriented too

4. Earl

Earl L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Editing the vmf is pretty simple. Just extract it from the gcf, and have it use a normal map that actually exists.

5. cornontheCoD

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know where I would get 'a normal map that already exists', and custom materials aren't allowed in the mini-mapping contest.

:glare: The other blend textures don't look good at all on it.

6. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I know the one, it's a great tex too, I'm currently using it but contest rules..

7. cornontheCoD

Positive Ratings:
    oh well. I will probably just post pics of what I have in hammer, but I won't enter the contest.

8. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Aw come on. Just slap another ground on there and enter.

It can't be THAT specific can it?

After plugging away on my all yesterday I figure I'm deffinately gonna turn it into a complete mission but somethings will need changed for that.
    Right now it's VERY big due to the no skybox rule and I think the fps would suck, but once it's turned into skybox I think my framerate will be great.