Beta Hydro Screenshot and Early TF2 Screenshots found on my old PC

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
No idea why I have these, they were found in my broken PC's hdd.

An Alpha version of a Hydro point, showing our good friend brick/wall028 coupled with an interesting mix of textures.
PWeKKBO.jpg

...compared to the artpass version in current TF2
c2bd4845d7.jpg

An early version of the flamethrower particle.
5G9oqB3.jpg

Early version of the map textures in the 2fort basement contrasted against the current versions.
v1wuOXn.png

An IGN preview photo showing a very highly detailed Teleporter
O69SSSL.jpg

An early version of the CTF Hud
9vQmfqZ.jpg

An.. escalator from Badlands? To me this looks like something from the 2nd point, with the tall building being the spire and the area closest to the camera being valley, with what looks like a dropdown coming from house? Interesting.
IJiQuIL.png

A wooden board showing some of the older weapons, an oversized SMG, what looks to be the TFC flamethrower and assortments of Pistols, most notably Deagles and Colt M1911's.
IYPEfE1.jpg

A fucking laser spycar.. what?
MRPuO1X.png

A gravel truck from props_badlands
lAXnQKR.png

props_badlands/laser, once again.. what?
waNDon9.png

Random items of not much interest
35039NI.png

VUJjYMS.png

A firing range showing early versions of the tr_target cutouts.
4OcYrF0.jpg

Cutouts again on their own.
pNQUlKM.png

Some lockers in a different artstyle.
eq1qU5C.png

And a spytech phone and TV.
aUkhD4D.png

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Actually I have edited ctf HUD myself to look little bit like that. And I have never seen that before!

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Aaaaah, Hydro. Still one of the most beautiful maps in the game. It's 3d skybox though... Like, it starts in places you'd never ever expect a 3d skybox to start (like right above a vent entrance into BLU's base).

oh look 1000 posts woohoo

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
TF2 was first planned as a mostly realistic game; btw, are all of the props shown in game library? I'd use some, though they are at risk of being deleted then.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
I take it that you don't have the actual models and only the screenshots? Still interesting.

Jul 26, 2015

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
This layout looks extremely familiar... I swear I've played a test of a map that was just like this.
There was cp_scrapped, which the author was trying to recreate ideas from beta badlands into a working map. It was kinda cool, but not the best map. I haven't seen it updated in like a month. I felt the exact same way you did when I saw that screenshot.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Wasn't Badlands still a CTF map when that was taken? It looks like the spire was an out-of-bounds spot at the time, so that seems like a logical conclusion unless the forward points were somewhere different.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
What I want to know is whether all those rock walls are just displacements covered in that ugly rock texture that everyone hates — because it doesn't look half bad here — or if it's really a model, as the uneven top edge would suggest.

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
What I want to know is whether all those rock walls are just displacements covered in that ugly rock texture that everyone hates — because it doesn't look half bad here — or if it's really a model, as the uneven top edge would suggest.
You can "uneven top edge" with displacements. Spire on there is obviously modeled but everything else looks displaced

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
Also, why "everyone" "hates" that texture. Honestly if it had harsher bumpmaps to it, it'd look awesome.

Skullio

L1: Registered
Mar 29, 2016

You mean one that is in the prop library part B called

models/props_mining/quarry_rock02.mdl

and theres no quarry_rock01 or any others like that but the name suggests there were more, maybe 01 is in the picture?

chrytin

L2: Junior Member
Jun 10, 2015
There was cp_scrapped, which the author was trying to recreate ideas from beta badlands into a working map. It was kinda cool, but not the best map. I haven't seen it updated in like a month. I felt the exact same way you did when I saw that screenshot.
I've thrown scrapped out completely and am now making an actual replica of those screenshots with the ctf badlands layout.
Thus far some progress is being made
https://imgur.com/a/ntfhF