Best ways to draw/sketch ideas?

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Best ways to get out ideas?

Lately, I've been feeling a bit trapped inside of my own mind. I have this incentive to create and to be creative, yet I seem to be having a tough time finding the right place to apply this energy. I certainly want to create/edit some maps, but I seek a tool to help kick-start the process. I want to take some time to say this - What tools do you use to get your ideas on-canvas? Personally, I resort to using pencil-and-graph-paper, which was certainly great for the Portal 2 chambers I've made in the past, but they seem to fall a little short when approaching design problems that require a bit more depth. Completely blanks sheets tackle these kinds of problems very well, but fall short in providing structure and reliability.

Yes, I know what some of you may be thinking, "Isn't the thought process around the idea more important than getting it on paper?" Well, to that I say, these kinds of concepts are very complex (and even philosophical), and for many people, putting an idea down is part of the thought process itself (me included). And to those of you who see what I'm trying to get at, let's have a mocha and an intelligent conversation together sometime. :)

So please, if you could spare a bit of time to comment with what resources, digital or physical, you like to use to grab your ideas from your mind and plop them somewhere you won't have to carry them around for the rest of the day, that would be very, very appreciated. And while we're on the topic, I'd certainly enjoy hearing other people's takes on the creative process, and how it applies to mapping for TF2.

Best of luck trying to figure this mess-of-a-thread out,
Kube

Last edited:

Robert Frost

L1: Registered
Feb 21, 2015
I haven't done much TF2 mapping, but with my one map I am currently working on for TF2 and my CS:GO maps, I like to write a description of each of the areas and features of the map, then draw a basic overlay of what the map should look like. Later on, I then do a more detailed overlay and maybe even some concept art, depending on the scale of the project.