Best PL Layout

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kengon, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Kengon

Kengon L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've got a few cool ideas for a payload map, but every time I try to make a layout, I get worried I'm doing something too unconventional that will mess up balance. So...

I want you to name which PL map has the best layout in terms of balance (including non-Valve maps) and why.
    Feel free to mention which ones you specifically hate too!

Hopefully then we can see which PL map aspects are everyone's favourite and which aspects of PL maps don't work and should be avoided. :wow:

2. Jetti

Jetti L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't really play too much payload, esp. unofficial. I have to go with Badwater because there is always a route to the side I can take to avoid the frontline.

3. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Upward. The map is so badass it has cliffs everywhere and is the best PL map out there - so good it is competitive level.

4. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    Badwater is best in my opinion. Upward tends to lean pretty heavily towards defense.

5. GPuzzle

Positive Ratings:
    I like Badwater too, but third point is really easy to capture, while second is preety damn hard.
    Anyway, Badwater Basin and Upward are the best official PL maps.

6. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    pl_rainbowride

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    badwater. upward's last sucks and deathpits are unfair and i hate snipers.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    badfather the best map

basically you make a path for the cart and a path on either side of it and thats all there is to it really

9. Kengon

Positive Ratings:
    There's something Freudian going on there. :p

I think Upward has the best aesthetic design; it's really cool that it's circular... But badwater probably has a better balanced pathway with a better mix of close to ranged combat opportunities.

I guess it raises an interesting question that I've been too scared to ask (I pretty much know everyone will rip the suggestion apart); but...
    If Valve doesn't fuss overly with balancing, and allows some maps to have some fairly unfair areas, then is it really a top priority?

My instinct is obviously yes, because you shouldn't aim to have an unfair map; but then again, when the teams swap at the end, the balance is inevitably fair... No?

Edit I'm tired, so that may have been a b/s question, but psht.

10. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    remember that a lot of maps that are good enough for valve are not good enough for tf2m

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I think Badwater is garbage but really like everything about Upward

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I love badwater and upward, probably equally depending on mood. BUT personally I think they both have overly-defensively-balanced final points. However I usually play them with large teams.

13. phi

aa phi Within The Vacuum Of Infinity...

Positive Ratings:
    I like Upwards better as a map overall. The balance is definitely a little better on Badwater, but there hasn't ever been another map quite like Upwards.

14. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I like most of the official ones, honestly. Upward, badwater, barnblitz, goldrush, even hoodoo.

For some reason, I sort of dread seeing thundermountain in the server browser or upcoming on nextmap, but I don't dislike it when I'm actually playing it.

I actually do not like frontier however. I can't pin down why; I think it has to do with the aesthetics.

15. GPuzzle

Positive Ratings:
    Well... Goldrush is preety good.
    The 4 PL 4 points 1-stage maps are preety damn awesome. I remeber getting more stabs in Frontier and passing 3 levels in a strange kinfe than any map.
    Well, I hate Hoodoo (first point, second stage, sentry choke).
    Thunder Mountain, (third level, first point, sentry choke) is preety damn good, until the "let's get the shortest and tallest official map ever.

I really like Barnblitz, Upward and Badwater Basin, and, with Lakeside and Viaduct, they're, in my opinion, the best maps.

16. ForbiddenDonut

aa ForbiddenDonut

Positive Ratings:
    My personal favorite is Barnblitz. I always have a lot of fun playing Spy on that map. Last can be a hectic ride, but there's a lot of height variation considering it's an indoor finale. I also enjoy how much detail and style goes into Barnblitz.

17. Kengon

Positive Ratings:
    I'm indifferent about the layouts of Frontier and Thundermountain, but their aesthetics mean I don't like to play them at all. Frontier is a poorly detailed map without much interesting going on past the new cart; and Thundermountain is dark and just doesn't feel nice to play. :( Good to see I'm not the only one thinking it!

The thing I like most about badwater is that the map isn't staggered into 3 stages. In my opinion, that seems to mess up the continuity of the map. :(

18. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I'll tell you this much. I tried doing writeups of the three official single-stage payload maps in the game, to try to get a handle on the different sorts of sub-areas designers can create and how it affects the relative strategies and difficulties for each team in each stretch of track and so on. Badwater Basin seemed to be the only one where this sort of analysis was really possible. The others seem way less strategy focused and more chaotic. Granted, this may be more due to how much more I've played on Badwater Basin and how intimately familiar with the directions its gameplay tends to take. *shrug*

19. soylent robot

soylent robot L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    i can tell you that i dont like thunder mountain at all. its the same dull wood texture all the way through the level, the different stages arent linked together like goldrush's are, and the final stage feels more like one of those long 4 point single stage maps than a final stage. the side points are too easy to cap but the tower point is horrible to push the cart up.

i like goldrush, batwater and upwards tho. im pretty indifferent about barnblitz and i dislike hoodoo

20. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Every time someone says "Upwards" my pedantry gland starts throbbing a little

• Thanks Thanks x 1