ran out of time

please ignore the glittery purple snow

3 minutes left aaaaa

Last edited:

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
Some details of the 72 hours:

The original plan (different colours are different levels). I was pushed for time and had about a day to design the map, up until 8pm when I began work. I wanted to include some diagonal geometry, and make a CTF map that was focused on the pursuit of the flag carrier.

I started out with the idea that sentries should not be too powerful near the point, and created an area that had an advantage against sentries. Then, this area needed a disadvantage. The map evolved from that.
3787U.png

Created the diagonal building from the top left of the plan first. Immediately jumped in and compiled to check for scale. Can't afford to waste time in the contest so fail early rather than late, and don't waste time.
Z2Dezh.jpg

The map had a lot of displacements in the flag area, so I used blocks to draft out their general shape - this helped with scale and placing other buildings.
TZ2zbh.jpg

I increased the size of the building to hide my sloppy displacements.
TAxz1h.jpg

Took an overhead pic of the map in Hammer and drafted out how the mid would fit together in Paint. It looked open and boring, and I wasted a lot of time changing it.
oPUMYh.jpg

Decided on this as my final mid in the end - still not happy with it, but I'm going to continue with this map.
KHcel.png

Some lessons learnt:
- Start planning now, if you haven't already. Nothing worse than stagnating halfway through.
- Fail as early as possible.
- Give yourself an hour of grace at the end! Don't let the last minutes be an unpleasant panic. There will ALWAYS be a leak, and you will ALWAYS forget the filters on a door.Or maybe that's just me
- There's always something to do - if you're stuck for layout ideas work on lighting or optimisation. Don't underestimate how long this stuff takes.

I hope this helps someone.

Bermuda Cake

Feb 20, 2009
Optimistic gameday bump! Thanks all for the test slot. I'll update some time with my notes of what was wrong with the map.

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
This is probably one of my favourite maps from the contest, mostly because the snow theme fits so well with it. I especially like the ground with glistening particle effects (though they did appear broken in the gameday).

I also thought after someone mentioned it that there was a little too many height differences on the approach to the team's capture area, which was also confusing walking up that way because I didn't know which stairs led to what platform, but maybe that's just me.

Can't wait to see it detailed :D

Bermuda Cake

Feb 20, 2009
Considering changing the gamemode somewhat, to adopt the old setup from a previous ctf map. I'll see if I can explain it coherently this time:

When a player has the flag, they can choose to take it to their base, like normal, or to the middle of the map. If they take it to the middle of the map, it's a quick capture for them, BUT, it's harder to defend the flag. If they take it to their base, it's harder to do, BUT, it's easier to defend. Thoughts? The entities work, I think.

Last edited: