CTF bermuda_72

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Bermuda Cake, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    my 72 hour contest entry

i entered early

ctf

snow

hopefully not a scout rush

or a sentry farm

no cubemaps

sorry

ran out of time

please ignore the glittery purple snow

3 minutes left aaaaa

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  2. Bermuda Cake

Positive Ratings:
    added an overhead shot. I might update in a bit with details of the 72 hours and some lessons learnt.

3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Accepted. Bermuda is first entry into the 72hr competition, which start at Noon EST, Friday june 29th. he requested to start early.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Bermuda Cake

Positive Ratings:
    Some details of the 72 hours:

The original plan (different colours are different levels). I was pushed for time and had about a day to design the map, up until 8pm when I began work. I wanted to include some diagonal geometry, and make a CTF map that was focused on the pursuit of the flag carrier.

I started out with the idea that sentries should not be too powerful near the point, and created an area that had an advantage against sentries. Then, this area needed a disadvantage. The map evolved from that.
    [​IMG]

Created the diagonal building from the top left of the plan first. Immediately jumped in and compiled to check for scale. Can't afford to waste time in the contest so fail early rather than late, and don't waste time.
    [​IMG]

The map had a lot of displacements in the flag area, so I used blocks to draft out their general shape - this helped with scale and placing other buildings.
    [​IMG]

I increased the size of the building to hide my sloppy displacements.
    [​IMG]

Took an overhead pic of the map in Hammer and drafted out how the mid would fit together in Paint. It looked open and boring, and I wasted a lot of time changing it.
    [​IMG]

Decided on this as my final mid in the end - still not happy with it, but I'm going to continue with this map.
    [​IMG]

Some lessons learnt:
    - Start planning now, if you haven't already. Nothing worse than stagnating halfway through.
    - Fail as early as possible.
    - Give yourself an hour of grace at the end! Don't let the last minutes be an unpleasant panic. There will ALWAYS be a leak, and you will ALWAYS forget the filters on a door.Or maybe that's just me
    - There's always something to do - if you're stuck for layout ideas work on lighting or optimisation. Don't underestimate how long this stuff takes.

I hope this helps someone.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Good layout work. Gotta play it first buttttt you should make a csf version if only for a brief test

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  6. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    prestige get off of mangy's account

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  7. Bermuda Cake

Positive Ratings:
    sigh

8. Bermuda Cake

Positive Ratings:
    Optimistic gameday bump! Thanks all for the test slot. I'll update some time with my notes of what was wrong with the map.

9. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    This is probably one of my favourite maps from the contest, mostly because the snow theme fits so well with it. I especially like the ground with glistening particle effects (though they did appear broken in the gameday).

I also thought after someone mentioned it that there was a little too many height differences on the approach to the team's capture area, which was also confusing walking up that way because I didn't know which stairs led to what platform, but maybe that's just me.

Can't wait to see it detailed :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Numberflow

Numberflow L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    played it, liked it, please continue with it after the contest

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Bermuda Cake

Positive Ratings:
    Considering changing the gamemode somewhat, to adopt the old setup from a previous ctf map. I'll see if I can explain it coherently this time:

When a player has the flag, they can choose to take it to their base, like normal, or to the middle of the map. If they take it to the middle of the map, it's a quick capture for them, BUT, it's harder to defend the flag. If they take it to their base, it's harder to do, BUT, it's easier to defend. Thoughts? The entities work, I think.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012