Battlefield Heros, or Team-Duty-field Heros?

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
Ok, so I have a free subscription to "Games For Windows" put out by 1up. Generally it has a couple interesting articles, but the way they seem to hang off certain publishers balls tends to get on my nerves at times.

For instance, I have really enjoyed the Battlefield series, well up to a point.

I really liked Battlefield 1942, I really like BF1942: Modern Combat. Then, they released Battlefield 2, and while I was reluctant at first, I grew to really like it.

I liked all these games for a couple reasons.
  1. Large maps allowing 32 vs 32 gameplay to feel like you were playing on an actual battlefield.
  2. Sniper vs Sniper combat on a huge map with tons of players wandering around. Sure, I dont get many points, but I have fun.
  3. In BF2 they implemented a weapon Unlock system, which is actually one of the most balanced unlock systems for an online FPS I have played yet. Yes, the unlocked guns give you advantage, but they dont make you invincible, and you can get your first unlock relatively easily.
Next, I bought Call of Duty 4 recently, and while I like the game, I also cant help comparing it to BF2 since they are both modern shooter games with an unlock system. So here are some things I don't like about CoD4 (you will see where this is going eventually)
  1. Small maps. Sure, they have 30 vs. 30 person servers online, but the maps were only designed for 8 vs 8 game play, and to make matters worse, some maps seem to only be designed for 4 vs 4 gameplay. It seems that rather than take a BF2 approach with different map sizes for different game sizes, they made a once size fits all solution, that does not fit.
  2. To many unlockable guns that are to over powered. Oh, so you just got dominated by a level 42 unlock 20 times in a row? To bad, if you want to get any good guns expect to grind through multiple hours of unfun combat, and if you want to upgrade those guns so they actually are accurate, expect another few hours of unfun combat while you try to get kills with the gun so you can get the good upgrades.
  3. Dozens of perks that only serve to be annoying. Who on gods green earth made a perk that drops a grenade when you die? They need to be smacked.
  4. No set sides, You fight your way towards the enemy and suddenly realize they are spawning behind you now, so you start fighting the other direction. Basically if you want to play as a team expect to be spawning in random locations then getting killed instantly. I want to spawn in places I pick to spawn, and have goals that we need to achieve as a TEAM. Sure, they have those modes on CoD4, but thats basically like playing counter strike.
Ok, so why the rant about CoD4? Well, it seems that the game designers decided to throw away everything that was Battlefield, and completely reverse the game design.
  1. They are making the maps smaller in Battlefield Heros
  2. They are making you spawn on other team mates, you no longer get to pick your spawn location.
  3. They are making grenade spamming a fricken skill for gods sake (throw 15 grenades)
  4. You can pay money to level up faster, don't pay, expect to grind slowly to new levels.
  5. A more CoD4ish unlock system from the sound of it.
  6. 3rd person only perspective. No first person...
Ok, so I have not mentioned Battlefield 2142 at all. The main reason for that is because BF2142 seems like a game they just cobbled together at the last second from the spare parts of BF2 and it also has an unlock system I dont much care for. Basically when you start off everyone has better guns and you have to play for at least 5+ hours before you can even think about unlocking a new gun and thats only if you invest solely in one class.

The final thing is it seems they are taking a lot of stuff from Team Fortress 2 also, they switched to a comicy style which they claim was thought up before TF2, but I doubt that, and several of the classes they described sound a lot like the Team Fortress 2 classes (they basically described a spy and a heavy). So you might say, well lots of games have classes like that, well thats not the point, the point is in all of the other Battlefield games, you had a choice basically. Everyone ran the same speed, but it was the duration of the run time that changed. In BF2142 they made it so you could equip heavier armor and run less. I think my main problem was how they described the classes in the article, it made them sound exactly like the TF2 characters

So here is a link to a really short teaser article about the Battlefield Heroes stuff: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165532 Apparently they are releasing the article online tomorrow.

Last edited:

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
yea i saw that yesterday. seems like a tf2 ripoff to me, the graphics style anyway.

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
...I know if I was making a game right now I would rip off TF2 too! lol

Im not saying its honorable, but when money is involved, honor goes out the window.

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
*sigh* I suppose, but I just feel that they are changing the game so much they shouldn't even keep the name the same. Its not a battlefield series game any more, its some voodoo zombie combination of Battlefield, Team Fortress 2, and Call of Duty 4.

Its like they looked at a bunch of different successful games, looked at all the parts that made up the game, grabbed different parts from each game, then stuck them all into one game as some sort of Frankenstein.

Narkissus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 22, 2008
I actually felt that the unlocks in CoD4 were actually too easy. After like one day of playing i was like level 40 and had all the weapons that I would want.
really, I got tired of killing everyone so easily with the m4 that I actually started using the shitty weapons just to have a challenge.
Overall I would say that yeah I liked BF2s system alot more,
plus flying around in a helicopter with a friend being the gunner was the most fun ever had in a multiplayer game.

roninmodern

L3: Member
Feb 5, 2008
Yeah, but seeing as you can get it without paying for it, liscence to complain dramatically decreases.

I'm not saying you can't, but since it's a free game anyone's ranting won't matter as much.

I'll certainly give it a go. Download only, probably?

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
Yeah, I will probably download it and give it a try also... It is free after all.

But I still reserve the right to complain.

So where can I sigh up for the beta then?

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Gonna give it a try too. I know it's now that tf2 is out that we all shout ripoff, and I'm sure it is just a ripoff now because they started the development not so long ago, but when tf2 is 1 year old and somebody else comes with this style we won't be yelling ripoff anymore... so I'm gonna give it a shot.

I read earlyer that its 15 mins of gameplay, than advertisements since it's free. Retarded imho.

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
In the article they do mention that the ads will not be displayed when you are actually in the game.

Advertisements will be displayed:
- At the login screen
- At the game browser
- On the stats webpage
- Basically anywhere on their webpage relating to the game.

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Is that the advance wars for gamecube?

I'm hooked to the new advance wars now. The only strategy game I play.