Barnblitz Discussion

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by MangyCarface, Jun 24, 2011.

1. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Great map. Why?
    -New assets! Not just specific to snow!:
    a. New normal on top of blue metal
    b. Blue sheet metal roof props
    c. New normal on top of various woods
    d. New woods
    e. Wood plank props
    f. Some snowverlays
    g. Other stuff I've probably missed
    -Excellent complexity of geometry, spy heaven!
    -Purposeful design: each room feels like it has a reason to exist (unlike badwater)

Downsides:
    -It's PL : /
    -Spawn rooms could be more creative

I'm thinking Iikka made it, seems like his style. The amount of detail is astounding. Windows are used creatively not only as detail but also as warning of room content. Brilliant overall.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  2. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    The detailing is gorgeous. My only gripe is that I feel like we have a metric ton of wood already, but I guess this improves the variation of said wood.

I think my favorite thing may be the new fences. Quite nice.

I've only played one game, so I can't say if I love the layout or not but it seemed to play okay. I love the spiny junction mechanic. Quite cool.

Edit: Here is the vmf if anyone wants it: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222914/TF2Maps/pl_barnblitz_d.vmf

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Was playing on Studio Rumble and I heard that Barnblitz was made by someone outside of Valve with the alias Kamikazee, but developed it with them and using their servers. So it's a pseudo-community map.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Interesting. It has some interesting stuff going on in the VMF, as far as I can tell. It certainly exhumes a sort of valve quality air around it.

5. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    i hate judging maps after playing them for only 20 minutes or so but here goes.

the new last is really insignificant but i kind of love how it plays differently from any other payload with it's closeness to C and how it's just in a square building. B seems really narrow, tiny, and spammy but it has that turntable yay. C was a very interesting point to fight around with that huge building on the far end, that little hill thing on the close side, and the rollback ramp. the first area was decent, kind of boring.

i dont know shit about detailing but the roofs, the ones on blu's spawn and that weird staircase at B's roof looked really odd and too shiny? maybe? i dont really like snow detailing much anyways, and the wood with it looked really bleh to me. literally ever part of the map was just indoor wood buildings, constantly surrounded by them. it'd be nice to have real names on the caps too.

overall, it's really not my kind of map, but it seemed to work. yeah a spy i was playing with commented how amazing it was for spies.

edit: more playing. blu's beginning spawn is pretty darn spammy, blu seems to eventually push out by the end. usually a nice quick push which is different. C is probably the best area of the whole map. really kind of an oddball map, and i larve it.

6. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    All I can say without having played it with other people: Holy geometrical details Batman!

This is what I love about great Valve maps. This is what's missing from most maps out there. It certainly makes me feel like a lousy mapper, but I just love running around it because there's nothing square or flat or boring anywhere.

But as you said, Mangy, the spawn rooms weren't all that nice. A bit more spytech influence would be interesting, both in and by the spawns.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I like the geometry.
    Edit: I hate the final capture

8. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Most detailed room ever!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Languid

Languid L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Has a very interesting and (so far) fun layout. Has cool new assets. Has some nice detailing. Has some detailing that looks fucking weird and makes no sense

10. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    generaly, blu secondary spawn room are not detailled, like in badwater.

I like the map, i haven't play it in real game yet but love the design :laugh:

The skybox is astucious, lighting is baked in a texture and place in the map as an overlay on the skybox ground. All pine trees are plane sin one static props. probably the most optimized 3D skybox in valve history :p

11. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Don't think anyone will be able to reuse the roof... since it is all one prop. (would probably have spire syndrome, "hey look it's that barnblitz building")
    The only wood planks are enormous fence monstrosities, which, while probably usable, aren't exactly anything you could use generic planks for.

12. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    It is really fun map, a lot of height difference and cool ideas.

13. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    I think you mean exudes. :p

14. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Why must you follow me everywhere and correct my grammar? XD

15. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    The textures are a bit too constrasting in some parts I think, some of the new ones aren't quite TF2's style either (but that may just be me not being used to them)

Mostly fine, it's certainly more of a Goldrush than a Badwater though

16. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    That's not grammar - it's word use.

17. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    they certainly decided not to skimp on the detail this time. (badwater initial release)

18. littleedge

aa littleedge L1111: Clipping Guru

Positive Ratings:
    If I remember right, Dario told us on Dario Day that Iikka did indeed make Barnblitz. But who knows. I'll find out tomorrow when I send in my clipcheck.

19. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    "The difference between the right word and the wrong word is like the difference between lightning bugs and lightning." - someone, possibly Mark Twain

EDIT: Sorry I couldn't contribute any more relevant content in that post, but I got dragged along on a trip to Amish Country all day and, while it did help confirm that TF2 is the only thing that can make farms interesting, I have not actually gotten a chance to play this new map yet.

20. Mexican Apple Thief

Mexican Apple Thief L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER

Positive Ratings:
    When did this become a bad thing? I was under the impression we loved payload. I do anyway.