"Balloon Race" playstyle

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
I imagined a solution like this:
airboatsolution.gif

The area between the bases would slowly move, constantly changing the battlefield. Players and buildables standing with the area when it disappears will die.

littlewilly91

L1: Registered
Sep 2, 2008
I have a great idea for this mode. It changes almost everything but keeps the central concept of a Balloon Race.

Here are the main changes, I'll give an explanation of how it can work afterward.

You can't beam to the ships or spawn on them.

The Ships can be sunk if you don't protect them, and they respawn.

The CP can be recaptured.

Can take control of the enemy vessel?

After capturing the first CP with the boat, the team has to try and make it back to complete a bombing run on the enemy base.

In this way, and with some balancing, both teams can always be in with a chance of winning, and their will always be exciting objectives to attend to. Destroying the enemy ship or just boarding it. Catching up with your own ship, which is now feasible because the ship sails through a winding canyon which has onfoot shortcuts, and since ships can sink engineers will have enough time to make on their side of the river since.

Here's a link to it in more detail if you don't undertand:
http://betterballoonrace.blogspot.com/

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
Well if someone could model up a good TF2-esque dirigible, that could take care of the vehicle...

I would absolutely do this. I've only played Balloon Race a handful of times, but the blimps do need a much needed face lift.

I imagine if there were blimps models that are already made for mappers, you could easily find more people motivated to try to tackle this gamemode.

When it comes to the blimps however, you run into the problem of how should they be modeled? Should they take upon the same shape as the current blimps? Or should they too be upgraded so you can have more support for differnt classes rather than the whole" plant your heavies on the wheel and lmc." problem.

I have a project or 2 I want to get out of the way but I will definitely start modelling two different blimps foe each team. I would probably try to aim for similar designs in structure but look a bit different just to add some variety.