Badfish

CP Badfish A8

Aug 30, 2015
Badfish - It is a 2CP

The time in between me taking on CP_Itza and now makes up a significant portion of my time on this site but whatever, it's done now.

CP_Badfish is an asymmetrical attack\defense map. It does not particularly try anything new. Originally kicked to the curb by Muddy, why she entrusted me with it I have no idea. It has gone through about three names and three themes by now and will probably go through about three more of each by the time I'm done.

Screenshots
20170105224049_1.jpg 20170105224056_1.jpg 20170105224111_1.jpg 20170105224132_1.jpg 20170105224250_1.jpg

Credits

Muddy - First half of the thing
Nick - I think he did one iteration? I'm not sure how much of it was kept.
Yrr - Locked Door Textures
Frontline Team - Textures: Bunker, Fort, Bunker Metal, Ground, Skybox, Stencils. Models: Ammo crates, Crate tarps, A Radio.
CP_Mayan\Aztec_flatwall snuck in. I'm not sure who did that specific texture but it's only in there as a mistake so kind of a moot point really.
Probably some stuff I made is bouncing around in there as well.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2015
January 19, 2017

Things shaping up to my liking. I have plans drawn up for more dramatic changes to Point A, but for now I want to optimize the new geometry and test what I have

January 17, 2017

It took about as much time as I expected but I managed to take off 512 units from between Blue Spawn and Point A. I may be able to take off some more from the yard and transition area, but I’ve messed the brushwork as is and the scale of Point A, at this point, is the least of my concerns.
In spite of some changes, Point B plays largely the same. In the future I may fix its scaling problems and gameplay issues at the same time by remaking the thing.
The change from jungle theme to vaguely Mediterranean inland slash Frontline thing was mainly spurred by my desire to stop having to mess with the lighting. I would like to put the map back in the jungle near the end of its development cycle and, for the final release, set it at night.

A7 Dev Poin A.jpg A7 Dev Poin B.jpg

January 15, 2017
Finally got around to recording times to walk from spawns to points. Gorge was consistently a few seconds shorter. I cut off 512 units from between Blue Spawn and Point A, which was a fun as it sounds. I may try to shave more space off the spawn and yard.
I feel the separation between Blue Forward and Point A is too poorly defined.

January 6, 2017
Haven shaken off the stupor of almost four months of inactivity, Badfish has been submitted for its first test under my hand.
Response was generally positive although some disparaging feedback was received where necessary. Some of the issues with Itza A5 were resolved though more were raised as a result of my… style. General takeaways are that the not-death-pit characterizing B is poorly implemented

Aug 30, 2015
So is this like a development blog now? Whatever, "go until I'm told to stop is my motto"
February 19, 2017
If I were to sum up my entry into the Jam it would be this: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I didn't get a map finished and that sucks. Then I was gonna enter it anyway but then I backed out at the last moment.
One thing I learned over the Spring Winter Jam is that I don’t do very well if I’m (under pressure first of all, but mostly) of the opinion that what I’m making isn’t very good. I don’t know anything about Passtime map design, for all I know this might work. I don’t care though, to me it is square and too small and has awkward connectors and chokey and why hasn’t Mikayla tried to contact me in a month. Fuck. Let’s talk about Badfish now.
20170213191203_1.jpg

Why is this not done yet? I’ve had two full weekends to work on this and yet connectors between A and B, sealing, clipping, and the majority of logic lie between me and completion. I feel like skill in hammer has not caught up with my skill in mapping (shut up.) As such I know that boxes with things inside don’t cut it anymore but I don’t know how to build anything else. Not efficiently anyway.
I am satisfied by the extent to which the A7 Blue Spawn was implanted into the new Point A. Unfortunately, the wooden scaffold that ran along the right hand route was taken out. I haven’t run exact tests but the walk between points should be the correct time. I think my problem is I scale my connectors like the points are in the center of their rooms, when they’re almost always near the back. Cutting the connectors down to around 384 each should result in a correct scale, which is good for me because I hate designing connectors. I am concerned that the blue forward spawn is too small. Hopefully if the rest of the map is as well designed as I think it is Blue shouldn’t find itself sent to its spawn all at once.
A8 Dev.PNG

Jekyllson

L3: Member
Jun 20, 2015
For what it's worth, PASS Time design is pretty tough. There are only three good maps to take influence from, two of which are really similar but with certain small layout changes, and the other which has a fun, unique layout but is stalemate heaven.

Aug 30, 2015
Ooh snap, first map release as Beef Bucket. So exciting.
The amount of time this has taken should be indicative of my opinion of this iteration. I dragged my feet on putting this together something awful and most of that has to do with the fact that A: I hate myself and want to die, B: the brushwork around the area points A and B meet is messy and C: I don’t think this is very good. Having now reviewed Point B I like it less than when it was first tested. I’d skip this version altogether but I really want to test anything with the new Point A. Fortunately I have already designed a new Point B that will work much better so the current Point B only has one test to stink up.

Version A8 Changelog

Remade the map apart from these things:
Blue’s spawn and yard
Point B and areas surrounding it
20170317133734_1.jpg 20170317133746_1.jpg 20170317133756_1.jpg 20170317133812_1.jpg

Read the rest of this update entry...