CP Backwater

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by eddyhartzz, May 16, 2012.

1. eddyhartzz

eddyhartzz L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just thought I'd start this off now, so I keep updating and stuff!

Planning either a 3-CP or 5-CP map not sure which yet, but its going to be the in Swamp theme from the lovely people at TF2Maps here!
    Don't really like the desert theme that much :)O:O) so probably be doing maps in other themes generally.

Anyway here are a couple in-hammer shots for you guys, and peace.

2. Bereth

Bereth L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Might I suggest not detailing a map that you don't even have a fully-fleshed out layout for? When you get this tested for gameplay it will just be a lot more work fixing it.
    Might I also advise against so much water in the playable area. Water just isn't a good mechanic, generally.
    I also see a lack of tool brushes. If you've toggled their visibility: fine, otherwise clip everything. Trust me. That way half of your feedback won't be "clip this."

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I think it's all ankle height water. It could be interesting. Be warned that soldiers and demos can jump higher and farther out of water.

4. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Also even ankle-height water slows players annoyingly.

5. eddyhartzz

Positive Ratings:
    its meant to slow them, its more of a route for spy's etc, rather than a main route to the CP

6. eddyhartzz

Positive Ratings:
    Why is that?! No logic in that at all?
    Actually thinking about it, a man who can fire a rocket at his feet and if he crouches and jumps flies through the air really far and doesn't die...

Hmm.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Not to mention they can land without taking any fall damage. Water in Source is silly like that.

8. eddyhartzz

Positive Ratings:
    Water is weird haha, on the otherhand not that many places to fall from so y'know, we'll see when it comes to testing!

9. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    The problem is if it causes them not to take fall damage from their own rocket-jumps, making jumping higher and less costly.

10. Headhunter09

Headhunter09 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It's because water is incompressible.

</bad science>

Also, I would suggest completely planning out the map on paper, since it pays to build areas with the whole map in mind (such as if you need to accommodate underground or connecting areas).

11. eddyhartzz

Positive Ratings:
    oh i've drawn it out completely, this is just the first bit i've made because i've never used water before so i wanted to do it first! :)