Backflow

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
The map was fun to play, but point B was way too hard to cap. Not many suggestions on what to do ATM though. Sorry. I'll post some ideas when I get them :3

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
We played it in a 32 player normal respawn situation on ukcs (yes, public players) and they had quite alot of comments. They found A very easy to cap. Compared to maps like dustbowl or gravelpit it was far easier. That definitely should be made a bit harder for that.

Another thing we found was that B was too easy to defend just like ScreamingGerbil also said. Blue simply had a too long walk from A to B to be effective compared to red just basicly spawning next to it.

At B we also noticed a few issues that realy made the map less fun for red also. They only had 1 route they can use to attack while blue has 4 entrances to that same area. That coused red to be basicly stuck at B which again isnt good for the map flow.

Also, people were able to go from B to C when they spawn at B. I think you should make that route locked off in the start and unlock when B is capped.

Also, a quote from Inevitable on the ukcs forums:
cp_backflow definitly needed a lot of work. B was far too easily defended. At one point I decided to go and have a look at the last point and discovered that the distance between B and C was bigger than most maps. I don't know how that plays (we never got past B in the tests) but it seems to me a tad ridiculous. Back to B, I'd say the main problems are superior sentry placements (lots of cover for them), the fact that the spawn is right next to the point (normally I'd recommend switching it to the final spawn after A is capped, except that's probably miles away), the distance for Blu to travel to reach B (perhaps scale the A area down a bit).

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
OMG IT'S BACK(FLOW)

Alpha 6
  • A new third Control Point has been added between B and C (now D). There are now
    4 Control Points.
  • Fixed the startup text so it says Backflow instead of Black Gold.
  • Moved some windows and doors to eliminate certain sightlines.
  • Removed the annoying karst rocks by B.
  • Moved RED's first spawn further back.
  • Moved BLU's forward spawn a little bit back.
  • Fixed the detail door in BLU spawn that opened when the real spawn door opened.

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I think the map played pretty well now. Well I don't think it played bad before though.

The routes from C -> D where a little too small though, it was very easy to camp them as a RED heavy, demoman, soldier or pyro. I suggest you to open up the routes a little and don't make all these routes small corridors in a house. D:

Also, the paths from A -> B felt a bit weird because they are all going over and under eachother. Try making these paths a bit more logical and less like a labyrinth.

But seriously, don't 'abandon' this map again. :D

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
But I am considering abandoning it again. Because I don't think anyone is having much fun on this map at all, the most logical conclusion would be that I have to remake most of it, since none of the points really have any thought put into them and all the paths are just terrible. I'm not up for remaking it anyway.

EDIT: DO NOT BUMP THIS THREAD!!! This map is dead now.

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Pull an Advection, radically remake the entire map every other alpha!

RED has a very nice flow towards the points, but BLU does not. There doesn't seem to be any progression for the attackers, leading to confusion and giving the defenders an advantage. The route from A to B is pretty much corridor syndrome; the hallways themselves confused the crap out of me for the first couple of minutes.