Back from the Hospital Today

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ForbiddenDonut, Aug 7, 2012.

1. ForbiddenDonut

aa ForbiddenDonut

Positive Ratings:
    Yay, so I'm heading back home today after having emergency appendicitis surgery. I had a really gnarly stomach ache Sunday, called into the hospital and been laying low since. It took me 12 hours for doctors to clear an OR for me D: (that's Cedar-Sinei for ya).

Things are healing up good and they said I should be discharged today. I'll be glad to get back to working on my maps.

2. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    WB. Hope when the bill comes it's not too devastating :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Ouch, Appedicitis. If I had a massive stomach ache I'd be buggin' out. (I have a strange phobia of things like that).

Glad to hear you are doing better!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. ForbiddenDonut

aa ForbiddenDonut

Positive Ratings:
    Knowing California, it'll be pretty horrific.

Luckily I'm under good insurance. I'm just focusing on getting better. My appendix didn't burst, so I got the easy 3-incision surgery.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  6. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    So was it a keyhole surgery?

My aunt had a keyhole surgery on stomach for something or other and it can still be pretty invasive. Internal bruising and scarring had her off work for 2 months. God knows what a regular surgery would have done to her.

7. ForbiddenDonut

aa ForbiddenDonut

Positive Ratings:
    As am I haha. I don't think I ever got close to that point - an abdominal CT scan showed that my appendix was infected, but not perforated. That's why I was allowed a laparoscopic appendectomy, rather than open stomach surgery.

Yes, it was. I don't think my procedure was quite as severe as your aunts, though. The whole operation took about 30-45 minutes, and my only restrictions after arriving back home is to not drive or lift stuff for about 2 weeks.

I'm really glad this hit me now rather than later. I don't know how I would handle this whole ordeal had it hit me in 3 weeks when I go back to college.

8. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    I had appendicitis when I was a kid. Was playing with other kids, during day slowly got stomach ache but it was fine, then when it was time to go home I did and during that walk uphill it started hurting badly, barely made it up stairs, had to cross a road already not seeing shit, then basically had to crawl to get to our house and had luck that my father was outside or I would have just collapsed on the sidewalk (this way I was at least put in a bed when I was unconscious). Was really close to dead there so you're lucky

9. ForbiddenDonut

aa ForbiddenDonut

Positive Ratings:
    Yikes. That's scary, Trotim.

My mum had appendicitis as well. Hers actually bursted though. She was on an 8 hour road trip with her family when the car broke down. A helicopter ride and a 3 hour surgery procedure later, and she managed to live by a thread.

I'm almost 21, so it's pretty surprising to have this happen when I normally expect it to occur at younger ages (my mum was 15 when it happened to her, and my grandmother was 16 when she had hers removed).

I don't know. I'm just glad everything is okay now. I was way too close to just assuming it was something I ate and not going to the emergency room. Sometimes, over-reaction is the proper reaction.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Call your next map "pl_appendix"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    kill_the_bug, necromancer supreme.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. ForbiddenDonut

aa ForbiddenDonut

Positive Ratings:
    I'll make it overscaled, painful to play and bad enough to put you in hospital for a week.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Little Dude

Little Dude L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Glad to know you are back and well!