Atk/Def Concept (Feedback Wanted)

E-85

L1: Registered
Apr 9, 2022
Okay, so to make a really long story short, I was thinking about making an Attack / Defend map in my free time. The idea was a progressive, three stage map akin to Egypt and Dustbowl, however, there’s a twist: each of the three stages is designed similarly to Degroot Keep and Gravel Pit, wherein both A and B are open simultaneously, and C opens once A and B are both caught.

I was wondering if something similar has ever been tried before, and how well an idea like this would work, in your opinion. What kind of things might be useful to know when working on this concept?

Also, I was wondering where I can possibly find the logic for Gravel Pit’s programming, and how I can change RED’s spawn to a BLU spawn should BLU win a round and progress the level forward? I was looking on Valve’s Developer page and found some of the logic, but every time the players win the round they’re teleported to a new segment, which isn’t what I want: I want it so that once round 1 and round 2 end, BLU spawns in RED’s room and also can’t go back into the previous area, and when the rounds reset BLU and RED go back to their correct spawns for that round.

T

The Asylum

So if I'm getting this right, you're looking for a map that would, say, be Gravel Pit for the first round, and if the attacking team is successful, the next round would be a map like Junction (I say "a map like Junction" because the actual map Junction is terrible). So in other words Dustbowl on steroids.

To my knowledge, a map like this hasn't been shown, and theoretically, yes, it should be possible. All you need to do is include the relevant points in separate team control point round entities: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_control_point_round

Keep in mind that TF2 can only have a maximum of 8 points per map, so that would only leave you with 2 rounds of 3 points each.

Changing spawnroom team alignment is easy. I'm pretty sure you can do it with team control point round, but if not you can send it a SetOwner command with parameters 0 for neutral, 2 for Red, and 3 for Blu

T

The Asylum

Also a pyramid a/d map is easy to set up. For your third point just set the "previous point required" values to whatever the other two points are