Assets for holidays in conjunction with tf_logic_on_holiday

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by worMatty, Nov 6, 2015.

1. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    Hi, folks.

In case you didn't know, a new entity was made available to us during a recent update named tf_logic_on_holiday. This entity lets you fire outputs at the beginning of the round/map (unsure), depending on what holiday mode the server is currently running in. So for example, if it were Christmas, you could enable some Christmas decoration prop_dynamics, or if it were Halloween, you could enable a replacement sky using a textured model in the skybox that encompasses all of the map.

The holiday modes that the entity supports:

• April Fools
    • Full Moon
    • Halloween
    • Smissmas
    • TF2 Birthday
    • Valentines
    • Nothing
    What do you folks think about making a collection of seasonal assets?

Or, what brilliant ideas have you thought up for abusing this new entity? Perhaps something to do with sounds? Some music? Jokes? Special areas of the map? Mini games?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Coding Ethan

Coding Ethan L69: Deviant Member

Positive Ratings:
    Dynamic environment, snow during winter and pumpkins during Halloween, etc.

3. worMatty

Positive Ratings:
    Pumpkins are a great idea. Can't believe I didn't think of those.

Snow would be a bit trickier to pull off. I was thinking about making snow displacements, and then converting them to a model using Propper, so they could be turned on and off. But actual falling snow would need to be a particle effect, wouldn't it?

4. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    Or a shit ton of 1x brushes...

5. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Particles have to be enabled via an input or just start active, so snowfall wouldn't be difficult.
    You could enable a pink color correction on Valentines Day or have a Monocolus spawn during Halloween. Confetti everywhere during Birthday. An actual full moon during Full Moon. Low gravity on April Fools...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    How does the entity work though? Does it automatically change when TF2's events for those holiday's start OR would you have to release a map with logic that sets the holiday?

7. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Dang, this is cool! My only concern is adding a bunch of assets to a map that people will usually not see that bloats the file size. You also couldn't do very extreme changes, I don't imagine. But if could still be really nifty.

8. worMatty

Positive Ratings:
    That's right. It's a condition. It won't fire its outputs unless the holiday you specified is in effect on the server. Holidays happen naturally due to the date, or they can be forced by the server operator.
    Indeed, the map author should keep an eye on the map file size, and the number of networked edicts!

9. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    I thought about something similar to how Runescape did their seasonal events.
    Like maybe make a portal appear somewhere that leads to the Underworld on Halloween.
    I really hope this entity can fire these outputs at any given time, not just on load/round start, given the holiday is active.

10. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
  11. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Halloween -> pumpkin bombs & spells
    Christmas/Birthday -> present models in spawn
    Full moon -> werewolf soundscape

Not sure about Valentines, and I'm not blabbing all my good April Fool's day ideas!
    [​IMG]

12. Bunbun

aa Bunbun Gay sex slave

Positive Ratings:
    Is it possible to change textures from gravel to snow? Or something similar during smissmas.

13. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
  14. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    One thing about spells. If you really want to use them, make sure your map is really sealed and no one can do the medic ubered small guy spell engineer, jumping against roof and building through the roof when spell ends. That way you can get out of a lot of map playable areas.

15. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Can you have the health and ammo packs swapped out for the ones Rexy made during Smissmas?

16. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
  17. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    April Fools - turn the map upside down.

18. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
  19. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    It is possible for smaller maps like maybe arena or koth.
    Just have the same geometry in the map twice, but upside down, and have the spawnpoints switched for AprilFools.

20. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    In hammer, the entity looks like logic_auto but apparently it does not execute itself on map load at all. So in order to get it to work, you need to give it a name and use logic_auto with output OnMapSpawn yourentitynamehere fire to load it up. I'll have to experiment further on this.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015