Asd417's 'Seamless' Skybox Tutorial

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Here is a guide for people who want their skybox to be mathematically PERFECT.
I might just be making a redundant guide but it seemed to me like there aren't any specific guide dedicated for this. Please tell me if there is already.

Step 1: Create a basic cube map.
This first step involves you drawing a cubemap texture for the skybox. Don't worry anything about distortion just yet.
Like this:
Cubemap_cloudy_text_cube.jpg

As you can see, each side is not distorted but they show the surroundings.
If you want to know how to connect textures, check this guide on interloper.

Step 2: Open blender
We are going to distort the image using Blender. Its a free 3d modeling tool which you can download from here.

Now that you downloaded the program, open it up!
step1.png

Before we start, these are the controls you'll need in this guide.
Select:
-Right mouse button.
-Shift + right mouse button to select multiple objects.
-Press A to select, deselect everything
Rotate: Press r, input axis (x,y and z), exact angle. Or press r, move your mouse, press left mouse button to apply rotation or right mouse button to cancel rotation. (You won't need to rotate free hand in this guide)
Scale: Press S
Maneuver your view:
-Press Middle mouse button to rotate around
-Use middle mouse button to zoom in/zoom out
-Shift + press middle mouse button to move your view
Copy Paste
-Shift + D NOT ctrl c/v
Delete:
-Press x after selecting.
Ctrl z or Command z

ok, now you'll be able to go through this guide without any problem even if you have never touched a 3D modeling tool before.

Step 3: Setup your blender

You can either follow this guide or skip almost half of this step by downloading this template.
Please take a look at all the steps. It took me 2 hours to write :(.

For those who want to DIY,
Start by deleting everything but the cube in the center.
Select the cube.
Go to the right side of the screen and press this:
step2.png

If you can not see the icon, you can drag it to make it show up. Hover your mouse over this line:step5.png and drag it.
Do not drag using this. I'll get to this later:
step4.png

That icon you pressed is an object modifier panel.
Add a modifier and you'll be provided with hosts of options but find 'subdivision surface'
There are a few options to the modifier.
Change View and Render to 6 (maximum).
As you can see, the cube is now more sphere-like:
step6.png

Don't apply the modifier. You dont need to.

Now lets UV unwrap this cube.

First, go into Edit mode by pressing Tab.
Edit mode is where you can edit the object.
When you go into the edit mode, you'll see that the blender still considers the object as a cube.

This is because we didn't apply the modifier. But again, we dont need to and it is easier to not apply it.
step7.png

Right now, all the vertices are selected. Press A to deselect everything.
step8.png

Go into Edge select mode and select these edges:
step9.png

You will have to move your view to select all the edges. If you want to go into wireframe mode like this, press Z.
(You'll notice that screenshots below shows different seems marked differently. Please ignore those. I made a mistake.)

Now press alt + E to go into edges menu.
select 'Mark Seams'
Your edges will now be highlighted red.

Remember this?: step4.png
Drag that corner to create a new window:
step10.png

(Again I marked wrong seems here please ignore)
Now make the right side window a UV/Image Editor:
step11.png

Like this:
step12.png

Now press U and select unwrap and you'll see the cube is unwraped on the right.
step13.png

You'll see it's unwrapped nicely but it is rotated. We know this because if you select a face on a 3d view, that face is also selected on the 2d view.
If you place your cursor on the right side, you can treat the unwrapped shape like 3d objects: you can rotate it, scale it, and move the vertices around.
Rotate the uv so that the uv is looks like this:
Skybox_example.png

or anyway suitable to your own texture. (back, left, front, and right really doesn't matter obviously)

Now you need to apply the texture to the 'cube' we unwrapped.

Now go to the 'Material' Panel like how you opend the modifier pane; and create 'New' and you'll see this:
step16.png

Go to 'Shading' and check 'Shadeless'

Now open the 'texture' panel and create 'New' like this:
step17.png

And set 'Type' to be 'Image or Movie'
Under 'Image' open your texture by pressing the file icon on the right to open your texture.
Once you load your texture in, you'll see extra options like 'Source' enabled just like the screenshot. Ignore those.
If you downloaded the template, this step is where you need to pick up.

If you go to the material panel, you'll see the preview now has a sphere with your texture all over it.
Let's go back to the texture panel and set the mapping correct.
step18.png

You can see under Mapping, there's a blank space called Map. Press it and you'll be able to select the UVMap you want. You'll have only one uv map so select that.

Now, select this:step19.png (it's next to the edit mode button)
and change it to Rendered.

Taadaa! It's your texture applied on a cube which has deformed into a shape similar to a sphere!

You might have noticed that this is not what you want. You want the texture to show Inside not Outside don't you? (say yes)
To do this, go to the right side of the screen and select Shading/UVs tab.
step21.png

Under 'Normals:' press Flip Direction
This will flip normal of the face inside out which means your textured faces are now inside.

Try moving your view inside the sphere. You'll see that you texture has smoothly formed a skybox.

Now we should setup the camera.
You can't really edit stuff in Rendered viewport shading so change it back to Object.
Get inside the sphere and press shift S and select 'Cursor to Center'
step22.png

You can see that the 3d cursor is now placed on center. If it was already on center because you didn't press the left mouse button on the 3d view, good for you! This step was for people who accidentally pressed the left mouse button.

Now lets add a camera.
Press Tab to move back to object mode or select object mode button.
Press Shift A and add a camera. It will be placed on the center because your 3d cursor is there.
Zoom out
step23.png

BTW, if your sphere does not have that strange lighting, flip the normal.
Press 'Object' menu -> 'Clear' -> 'Rotation'
step24.png
This is the Object menu

Now the Camera will look depressed.
step25.png
Now we want to change the setting of this camera.
If you select the camera, you'll be able to open this panel:
step26.png

Change 'Millimeters' into Field of View and set the angle to 90 degrees.

Goto this panel:
step27.png

Change the resolution to what you want but keep X and Y Same. (square camera)
Now if you press Render button, it will render the bottom view. You need to change the camera rotation and render all 6 faces of the cube map to create a full set of skybox cubemap texture.
Remember: The triangle on the camera represents top. So keep that in mind when rotating the camera to render 6 faces. Also, Use the rotation command I listed at the beginning of the guide to rotate camera accruately.

Step 5: Render
Render by pressing the big render button.

Step 6: Importing your textures to hammer
You need to make vmt and vmf for each of your textures.
Use this page to do this step.

Step 7: Rate this Post to Show appreciation
If you are reading this, you'll see on the right isde of this page, these buttons
step28.png

There are quite a few options here from Thanks to Respectfully Disagree.
Please press the Thanks button if you think this guide is helpful.
Please press the Respectfully Disagree button if you think this guide is a complete piece of shit.
Why would you press Funny?

Step 8: Post a reply to ask questions (optional)
This step is all up to you. If you have any problems with my English or explanation, feel free to post a reply.
PM is also good if you want to be secretive about your question.

Thank you for your time.

This took me like 2 hours to write. But the process itself (not including step 1 and step 6) will take you around 15 to 20 minutes. This is my first guide so I hope this was good enough. Thank you again, and have a lovely day.

Attachments

• step9.png
    step9.png
    483.5 KB · Views: 327
  • step14.png
    step14.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 253
  • step15.png
    step15.png
    105.4 KB · Views: 247
  • step20.png
    step20.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 212
Jul 26, 2015

I actually like this tutorial. The methods are a bit different from mine; I never thought about using the subdivide modifier. As crash said, it's good to have a variety of tutorials, especially if they show different ways of doing things.

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Guys I found the old free version of HDR Shop which you can use to easier warp your skybox texture.
I wonder if I can link it here because they released it but they removed it from their site which implies that they don't want us to use it freely...
Polycount thread seems to be fine with uploading this though.

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
I actually like this tutorial. The methods are a bit different from mine; I never thought about using the subdivide modifier. As crash said, it's good to have a variety of tutorials, especially if they show different ways of doing things.
I noticed that your method does not really allow anything to be drawn on the 'ceiling' since they get distorted.
Did I understand it correctly or is there a way around it?

Jul 26, 2015
I noticed that your method does not really allow anything to be drawn on the 'ceiling' since they get distorted.
Did I understand it correctly or is there a way around it?

Yeah, due to the nature of how a texture is wrapped onto a sphere. But you can always just make a flat plane mesh to put up in the ceiling for clouds, etc.

D

Deleted member 27649

Mega necro but, does anyone know if this tutorial is... actually... usable? Even in Blender 2.78a (which should be the right one for this tutorial's date? I think?) I have been unable to follow it. Alt+E does not bring up the edges menu (easily bypassable), I can't unwrap it properly at all (the template should've helped...), and the blank "Map" button simply doesn't exist (I have zero idea how to deal with that. I don't know the proper terms of anything in Blender and I haven't been able to search for it.).

I'm not complaining about the tutorial much, rather just... blender......... grr.....................

If anyone would care to give a nudge of help or explanation or linking to an up to date tutorial, that'd be.. jolly... or you know lock the thread because leaving it open and *not* expecting people to talk in it is totally reasonable for forums, i suppose /shrug

Thanks anyways for writing this.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
For me in 2.79, it's Ctrl+E that brings the edges menu up. For some reason during 2.7's lifespan the Seam options were removed from the edges menu anyway - they're on the left tab under "Shading/UVs" (press T while hovering over the 3D viewport if it's not there).

The blank "Map" field doesn't appear until I change Coordinates from "Generated" to "UV" like in the screenshot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 27649

Frustratingly I can't replicate the Map field not showing; it feels like I'm going insane. Thankfully it did start showing up.
I'm confused about the seam options. Am I looking at and thinking about the wrong thing? Because in 2.79b it seems to still be in both bits...

Screenshot_8.png

Also, regardless of which one of the buttons I used I still couldn't get it to unwrap. I even attempted to do it like in the downloadable template insteadof the guide.

Thankfully, starting *from* the template I did manage to get it to work! After turning off my brain and just clicking all the buttons until it worked or until I had to restart the file. I think I had to delete the existing template material but it seemed to be 50/50 whether it would completely lock me from creating a new texture lol

The guide didn't mention anything about manipulating the UV/image/w/e, but fortunately I could figure that out. Had to specifically select the file/texture/?? on the UV/Image Editor. Also I recall finding where the 'snap to grid' option was... forgot :')

In the end it worked I guess, ty &all

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
This guide might be a little lacking in several departments... good to hear that you managed to get the result you want though.