Asd417portalmap

KotH Asd417portalmap a3

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Quantum - Fight for the super high-tech-space-time-bending contraption.

Ironically, a reskin of my scrapped halloween map.

Towerfall without the spells.
Planning for a theme similar to that of Nucleus but set in night time.
Fight for the super high-tech-space-time-bending contraption.

Quantum

L3: Member
Mar 31, 2016
I like this map. I am completely unbiased.

(But seriously, your maps are always phenomenal. Keep it up.)

TheMightyGerbil

L2: Junior Member
Dec 23, 2012
I like the concept but in play testing it was actually rather difficult to get to the point. A demo trapped the teleport area and since the other routes are fairly long but provide little cover you can see and counter any people getting to the point. Mini sentries on either side made it a pain because while you could find an angle to take them down it was never far enough away to not to have the demo find you and spam from above with grenades. I got up there and killed them a couple times but traded for it and with no one to guard it the teleport got them right back there quick.

I want the concept to work but you're going to have to do something about the height of the map and/or cover on approaches.

Also I think some of my people said the teleport does not work both ways and wished it did but I can't quite remember. Hope you get it balanced better because I think there is good potential here :) .

Asd417

Sample Text
aa
Mar 20, 2016
That demo trapping the portal was me.
I honeslt don’t know how to make this map work. I think I will start over once I finish other maps

TheMightyGerbil

L2: Junior Member
Dec 23, 2012
That demo trapping the portal was me.
I honeslt don’t know how to make this map work. I think I will start over once I finish other maps

We kind of played it on my clan's Toj server, not on TF2 maps, so IDK if you were there or not. We are kind of obscure XD.

I believe the problem is the sight lines and travel time to walk up to the point. That is to say travel time while within enemy sights not just walk distance. I'm certain the teleporting idea can work but you still need the fundamentals built around it which consider all classes. On normal koth maps snipers are a big deal (and often them being op is a problem with maps) but they normally serve the roll of keeping players from holding on/around a point, restricting movement, forcing them to positions forward or behind a point. On yours there aren't really many good angles because you are always looking up yet you are still too close to avoid enemies attacking you.

You can go the nucleus route where you have line of sight directly to the point and can snipe it or you can go the more balanced highpass route. On that map the point is only slightly above the approaches while alternate routes have cover (in that one person can't watch them all) or are actually above the point. I mean you could literary take the layout of Nucleus or Highpass and substitute a portal under the point area and it would probably play ok-ish (you'd have to find a new spot for the health pack though).

Any way you look at it means a lot of work lowering the point and adding the right distance for snipers to work yet not be op. I feel you. I've been there when I know I've got to move around a lot of brushwork and it's exhausting. Take a break until inspiration hits you :) .

Last edited: