artpass_kinky

Kinky

L1: Registered
Feb 19, 2009
Heres the general style of the map. You guessed it, jungle/mayan theme.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Wow.

I'm taken aback.

Beautiful.

Kinky

Feb 19, 2009
Thanks guys, my first real TF2 map.

Slight update. Taken me a long while to do this tiny room as its somewhat a concept for the level.

Mar 23, 2010
really green. might have the same complaints of cp_furnace (too red). really good for your first map.

Infi^

Nov 3, 2009
Looks like I've got some competition in the blend of industrial take over, of an abandoned jungle type of Aztec situation. There I was thinking I was being unique >_>, oh well I guess. Thinking about it I guess it should have been expected, since the Egypt theme just begs to be changed into a Mayan theme when you add some greenery and vegetation to it.

One of my ideas behind the reasoning was that since there can only be one winner obviously, that means pretty much most of the other versions of the same map will be rendered rather pointless. However I'm not sure if you thought the same or not, but creating a semi-customized theme means that the theme itself can be salvaged from it if you do not win. Sort of using this layout map as a test bed for the theme in question.

I'm curious in terms of a couple of questions so far.
How much thought have you put into the "where abouts" and "when" that this will take place?

At them moment in terms of time, I'm using a rather strong afternoon tropical storm in a Mayan jungle based environment, in order to combat the aforementioned problem of overusing too much green. Since Team Fortress 2 doesn't actually use that many shades of green, except for the Alpine themes, which in my opinion, are rather incompatible in terms of the Mayan theme.

My own placing is that the level slowly progresses into a cave like setting. The deeper and further you go, the more obvious it becomes that the teams have only just begun setting up the industrialization process. For instance, little power generator boxes to power some man made lights, tools and equipment left scattered around the place, makeshift metal walls, you get the idea.

I'm rather hesitant to ask, but was you thinking along the same lines as that? If not, then yay, hopefully that will put enough space between us.

I hope you're okay with these questions, and I really do not wish to hi-jack your progress thread. It's just that I'm a little taken back about the fact that someone else has coincidentally stumbled upon the same and rather unusual theme I was gearing up to using, before I've even had the chance to post my own thread about it. I did get a slight feeling someone else may do something similar, but not AS similar to the point of being pretty much identical. Hence why I felt like there was enough space for me to avoid feeling pressured into creating one of those "Oh hi guys, I'm just reserving my thread. Lol no pictures to so far!" dealios.

Anyway, it looks great so far. Exactly how I envisioned the concept when it popped into my own head. I would say great minds think a like, but I don't think I'm great at all, so I'm at a loss at what to say.

Last edited:

Efhan

L2: Junior Member
Jun 13, 2009
Really enjoying watching this so far. That statue-head was really good. :)

Kinky

Feb 19, 2009
Some changes. Thanks for the comments.

@ Infidelz - You've obviously thought about this a lot. I haven't. Lets see what happens.

Goombac

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 27, 2010
Lookin really awesome. Can't wait to see the rest of your map. Did you make all of the jungle models yourself?

Kinky

Feb 19, 2009
Thanks guys,

Trying to work out what to do with the surrounding geo. Was going to make a giant cave but thats going to be too much rock.

Bermuda Cake

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 20, 2009
oh man... I just realised what area that shot is of! Nice... No idea what you'll do with the massive wall though. It doesnt have to be that tall

Kinky

Feb 19, 2009
Thanks.. havent worked that one out yet. Probably finish inside C first then work that out. More up in the images.

Infi^

Nov 3, 2009
I hope you continue the rest of the map in that style. The areas of A really lend itself to this type of theme. In my opinion of course.

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
I sit just me or the health and ammo on pic 4 are in the displacments?
better work that out!
And on the positive side - WOW! this map looks great! Nice to see new themes in TF2 once in a while!

Kinky

Feb 19, 2009
LOL fixed. Im sure they wont mind that i raised them a little bit :p

Thanks for the kind words gents. Got the main details down for CP3. I have BIG plans for this room which may take a few days... well see.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Turn the shadows off on the fern models so they don't have a gigantic black shadow. It'll look just fine without one.