Artpass_Balloonsfor600

Balloonsfor600

L1: Registered
Sep 7, 2009
This is my artpass entry - making sure it gets in on time. I will edit this thread in a minute.

Edit: The skybox is a bit rough, but it was a last minute rush. My classes made sure that I didn't have to full amount of time I wanted to put into this, but considering this is my first ever complete artpass, I suppose I am proud of it. I have other stuff to work on, but I might return to this. Thanks for the opportunity - it was fun!

Last edited:

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
You've got concrete tops to natural cliffs (5th picture).
Your lights above C (6th picture) have no power source.

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
I'm pretty sure he didn't since his map made it into the upload thread @ 09-25-2010, 06:01 AM

Balloonsfor600

L1: Registered
Sep 7, 2009
I'm pretty sure I made the deadline as it was posted at exactly 11:00 am UTC by my watch, but I could be wrong.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments Draco18s. I realize it's not perfect, but it is what I had when the contest ended. I was going for a base built into the cliff look. For the fifth picture, I meant to put in some detail there so those cliffs flowed into the concrete more naturally, but didn't have the time. There are also no door jams on some of the doors (or whatever that small plate that covers the seam between two floors in the real world is called) that really should have had them. I planned on going back and doing those two things by the deadline, but it didn't work out.

As for the power source, I wasn't sure how to set up anything realistic for those and I don't understand the cable tool in Source. It's on my list to learn. I just barely figured out how to make a 3D skybox... so yeah. Any suggestions for that would be welcome.

The reason I participated was learning and to build my portfolio. I figured working with one of Valve's maps would teach me a lot about gameplay flow, blocking out a level and detailing. I was right and am happy with my results for the amount of time that I had to work on this. As I said, I will probably will revisit it after a short break, but if I ever want a job (I graduate this fall) I probably have to spend some of my free time learning C++. That and I have ideas for several projects across several games/engines, so I may move on to working on other stuff.

Thanks again for the opportunity to work with Valve's map. Please, if anyone else has any comments, I would appreciate it. I am learning this as I go along, so constructive criticism is always welcome. I love this community (even though I tend to lurk) and appreciate everyone helping out the new guys.

Last edited: