Artpass Swizzle

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Swizzle, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Swizzle

Swizzle L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Figured I'd take a crack at this. I'm going for a snowy night time Gorge sort of look.

I don't have a ton of work to show right now, but I've only been at this a little while.

2. re1wind

aa re1wind

Positive Ratings:
    That looks very promising :)

btw, same swizzle on polycount?

3. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Hey it's that swizzle guy who did all that swizzlin' stuff

4. Da_Man

Da_Man L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    cool, alpine theme. Looking nice so far.

5. Chilly

Chilly L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Very nice so far. Lighting really makes it work.

6. Sharc

Sharc L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Looks interesting so far.

7. Swizzle

Positive Ratings:
    re1wind:
    Yep, I'm the same guy.

This isn't exactly a huge update, but I've pumped a little detail into the building to the right of the first point. I have a list of things I need to do that's as long as my arm. I think the first, though, is changing the fog color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Urban

aa Urban

Positive Ratings:
    I like how the overlay letters "RED" are lit up by those spotlights.

9. Sgt_Dippy

Sgt_Dippy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Swizzle you rocked the polycount update! but on the mapping note, your dooing great. May I suggest piles of wood scattered around to emphasize the alpine/ forest theme.

10. Swizzle

Positive Ratings:
    I'm definitely planning on putting some wood piles and logs and such to emphasize the alpine theme. I still need to really flesh out the whole thing, but I think it's coming along nicely.

I changed the roof for the building next to the blue spawn a little. It shouldn't change gameplay much, if at all, but I'm hoping it's not against the rules. I made sure to put that water tank in the same location as the raised structure on the old roof, so there's still a bit of cover up there.

Right now I'm trying to push the details outside the play area a bit so the map feels a lot bigger. I've also been trying to add more detail to existing structures. So much to do.

From in front of the blue spawn:
    [​IMG]

From the top of the small building next to the blue spawn:
    [​IMG]

From in front of the first point:
    [​IMG]

The first point:
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  11. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    WOW. i really like it. good job on the lighting so far. and the "melting" snow/grass is really cool. looks promising :)

12. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    I like the combination of styles, but I'm apprehensive about how dark your main path is. Some overhead lighting is definitely required.

13. Capt. Kirk

Capt. Kirk L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i don't think i stand a chance after seeing yours. good job

14. Sgt_Dippy

Sgt_Dippy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Nice idea with the garage thing next to blu spawn. It looks like you extended the skybox for the wall on the right of the blu spawn, did you because that may be outside of the rules. And I'm wondering what you are going to do for the left side of the blu spawn, I'm anxious to see what that genius piece of mesh will be placed there. Your going to make it real hard for me on my entry.

15. Huckle

Huckle L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    This makes me a sad panda, it's everything I want to make, only better. I really like the "gate 1"-house on the right side. I'm not so sure about all the yellow railings though, I find they are a bit too bright on a dark map.

If you keep this up, you're my favourite to win.

16. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi Swizzle, I can't wait to see your progress :)

Following this!

17. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    I like it, but I feel that the contrast from dark to light is a bit much. Maybe lighten up the out doors with some street lamps, or just change the color on the light_env?

18. Acumen

aa Acumen Annoyer

Positive Ratings:
    i'm kinda missing the tight theme so far. i know you just started, but it's already filled with props right to the top and almost tooo much for my taste, but yet it kinda lacks the tf2-feeling in many places, imo.
    but it's gonna be surely interesting to see how this develops over the weeks !
    i have high hopes for some custom model love by you :D

19. KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is my favorite entry so far, looks like Doublecross and Gorge had a beautiful baby. I'd brighten up the outdoor lighting just a little, but everything else is great. Keep up the good work.

20. E.B.

E.B. L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I don't really like the chemical tanks' contrast with the white concrete (mostly looking at your second update post). It's a kinda bland white next to a kinda bland grey. Don't have a specific idea for what to change, maybe put some rust or something in to break up the plainness.