CP Artpass RaVaGe

Gotejjeken

L1: Registered
Jul 17, 2010
That actually looks fun...

Either way, I'm outclassed here, but there is some seriously awesome work going on in a short amount of time o_O.

WastedMeerkat

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2009
I'm kinda hoping Valve will allow major changes of the map, since some parts of it are just so strange. I love your entry, and I hope Valve is more lax with the rules than we thought.

Infi^

Nov 3, 2009
I'm kinda hoping Valve will allow major changes of the map, since some parts of it are just so strange. I love your entry, and I hope Valve is more lax with the rules than we thought.

I really hope they're not. I agree that some parts feel very alien to map on. For instance the rather awkwardly placed slope thing which connects the upper route from A to B, but some people will severely limit themselves from editing the layout. Which means if the rules suddenly become lax, then it means other people will feel cheated if the winner has modified the layout even the slight-most. Since the others may have felt they could not do so, and therefore played it safe, instead of taking the very risky gamble and chancing the fact they may get disqualified for their alterations.

I think the rules should be as clear as possible. So if they say no modifications of the layout, minus props and minor detailing, then I really think it should mean just that. Otherwise people are going to become even more confused than some already are. Which obviously means more of a mess for someone to sort out when it comes to the deadline day.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Boxes and junk everywhere. You could probably tone it down a little and not deprive your map of aesthetics, remember that optimisation is also a part of this contest. Plus you'll probably save yourself from what looks like a very long player clipping session.

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
New picks, the barn will come after.

84bc0e56e525e1712fe97601a3ebd.jpg

I presume this is prohibited ?

Last edited:

TerabyteST

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 18, 2009
You've basically completely modified the play field.

Infi^

Nov 3, 2009
I think I know where the common error is. The map feels too open and the use of placing props in areas, such as that lovely picture, you are doing so in order to break up the huge lines of sight that does not feel as blatant when compared to physically modifying the real layout, in terms of changing the brushwork and empty space to your own liking. I suppose it's an easy habit some people are going to have to avoid, and grow used to in terms of this contest. I think I may also suffer from this too.

I have to agree that there are huge lines of sights in this map that are going to prove themselves rather difficult to work with, but even though that is a really nice and visually pleasing method to break up the combat in that area, it would quite clearly change the flow dramatically. New sentry spots, cover from Snipers, sticky-bomb spots etcetera. Captain obvious perhaps, but it's quite clear you're finding it rather difficult to refrain from making such game-play altering changes.

I don't really wish to be the only one prepared to say this on his own, but since no-one else appears like they're going to, and given your earlier post in this thread, in which you expressed quite a strong dislike for the layout itself:

Perhaps this contest just isn't your "cup of tea" so to speak?
That the layout and the rules are just too restrictive to work on without tripping up with every few changes you make? I think most, if not, all of us can see what you're doing, don't get me wrong, it looks great with what you've done in terms of detail already, it's just that your sub-conscious absolutely hates the layout, or at-least dislikes it to some degree, as many others do too. Therefore you're making subtle changes you would like to have seen in the default layout without really realising it, yet the rules are preventing you from doing so.

I don't think you should give up by any means, but I think you may find it hard to restrain yourself from making these changes from often cropping up as you work on it, given this is only just the very beginning of the map itself.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
If you keep posting your changes we'll point out the layout changes you accidentally make for you :p

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
screw it rav, edit the fck out of it and delete the stuff later that doesnt work...

for example that wall you built destroys that whole area and isnt even a good gameplay change, but dont change shit because people say you "altered" gameplay slightly.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I'm with Flame. Screw it, delete later.

I mean, c'mon... You place a single crate or barrel somewhere, you've changed the gameplay by adding a sentry spot, a spy/pyro ambush spot, or a way for a scout to jump a little higher. You add a doorway frame and you've changed how far a sniper has to move to shoot out of it and still have cover. You add a cave roof and you've changed how far a soldier can rocket jump. Lower a displacement slightly to match a texture and now people take fall damage landing on it from the ledge above.

Hell, just a texture or lighting change makes a huge difference in what classes or teams can hide where.

You can NOT add art to a map without changing the gameplay.

On the flip side, yeah... I think Rav's gone a bit far with gameplay alterations, but I say run with it. Delete the extreme stuff later.

Kep

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
screw it rav, edit the fck out of it and delete the stuff later that doesnt work...

for example that wall you built destroys that whole area and isnt even a good gameplay change, but dont change shit because people say you "altered" gameplay slightly.

It's a significant change. Snipers no longer have that sightline, non-aerial classes must now go around, and it's now an ambush point for classes that can jump the fence.

Goombac

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 27, 2010

WOW, I'm back in Episode Two :p

But seriously, your map is really good. I'm pretty sure they will allow minor changes to the layout and gameplay, as long as you don't go and add a path through the map or cut off important routes. I say do what you want. Keep on going at it as you have been and Valve will love it or hate it (hopefully hate it for my map's sake ;)) and if it doesn't work out, change the layout and make it your own map.

RustySpannerz

Jul 18, 2010
I really hope Valve are okay with it for your sake. But I would like an official statement from them, just so that us other contestants will know that more clearly what we can change. It would be great for everyone to know exactly what their limits are.