arena_woodchip

Dragonstorm24

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2009
Woodchip

This is my first map to be uploaded :) so I would like feedback, It is a simple arena map

backstory:

RED has setup a successful logging business up in southern Canada, but BLU is not far behind and quickly puts up a mulching business right next door. Now both teams are locked in battle to see who will be able to keep their business in this rugged wilderness.

Last edited:

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Looks very teeny tiny, so Pyros and Havvies will eat everything up. Open it up a bit, add some height variation, maybe put the point on a second story of a house? Dunno, dunno...

Aug 10, 2009
Given that the screens are updated, here is what I have to say:

First off, you really do need more geometry. Try to move out of having a box map and evolve it into something independent with buildings and displacement height variation for cover, not just trees, trucks, and blocks.

Second off, the map is asymmetrical, or looks to be, which is a nono in symmetric gametypes.

Finally, just take the entity tool and drop some lights around 192 units off the ground all over the outdoor areas of the map to lighten things up.

ricardojvc6

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 8, 2009
this reminds me of those swamps on the mountains. :D

Weak_Y2FC

L1: Registered
Sep 6, 2010
Tested on a 20 player server, I'll read off some criticisms from players, "This map sucks" "the textures aren't even complete" "why is everything in a sick neon pink, even the water is that pink color" "these textures are ******" "why is there the numbers 128x128 on every tile?" "even without all these terrible textures, the map stinks, it's not even complicated". Just giving feedback, thanks for trying to make an arena map, seems not many people do it these days

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
at above, just because most players don't understand what a dev texture is doesn't mean that the map sucks

all of your player criticisms are about textures, the map is still in alpha!

Dragonstorm24

Nov 16, 2009
Tested on a 20 player server, I'll read off some criticisms from players, "This map sucks" "the textures aren't even complete" "why is everything in a sick neon pink, even the water is that pink color" "these textures are ******" "why is there the numbers 128x128 on every tile?" "even without all these terrible textures, the map stinks, it's not even complicated". Just giving feedback, thanks for trying to make an arena map, seems not many people do it these days

Thanks for testing it, but as nik. mentions above most of the complaints you posted are based on texture. The only texture complaint that is actually relevant is the one about the pink and black checkers. For some reason when I run pakrat it doesn't catch the textures I put in and when I put them in manually it doesn't added them and i was going to change them to default textures but Hammer isn't working right now :mellow: Another complaint is that it isn't complicated enough which doesn't really tell me anything about what I should add or change. If you are going to test it in the future please test it with people that can give me feedback I can work on and if you want it without the missing texture texture wait until I release a5-c.

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
you might have to manually shove it in the pak, or try packbsp, by terr :D

also did you build cubemaps

Dragonstorm24

Nov 16, 2009
you might have to manually shove it in the pak, or try packbsp, by terr :D

also did you build cubemaps

yes i built a basic cubemap, I know that is fine and I know what he was talking about was not due to the cubemaps

Dragonstorm24

Nov 16, 2009
ok useless thread bump (kinda)

I fixed the broken textures (finally) and added the model that was missing

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
This is a very long sightline. Snipers have a very clear view across the middle area, which can get very annoying for Hoovies and other slower, horizontal classes.
This room is very oddly lit; use a beige-ish colour or something that's not green.
This area looks like it's unclipped and would act as a passage, but doesn't. Either put a fence or something vertical here, or remove the playerclip.

Overall, map felt too linear, almost like the mid of a 5CP. Engies set up behind the buildings with the steep roofs, while other classes duke it out in the middle, with an occasional Pyro/Scout attempting to attack the Engi base. Arena maps tend to be more circular; ever pay attention to your location while playing Lumberyard? The teams usually swap sides back and forth, circling the cap building until it unlocks. I suggest 'rounding out' your map a bit.