Arena maps, show yourselves!

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
I'm working on arena_discovery at the moment, which is nearing beta 2. I'd prefer if you didn't get the b1 of it, but maybe that's a notable thing: sometime in the next 3 weeks (school) you'll get a new detailed beta 2 arena map.

The gameplay's pretty much done, but I'd have to find the .vmf if I were to redetail it. It won't take long if you want me to do so, I could probably get it finished in a week or so.

Go for it, guys. There's not really a deadline on this stuff, I'm on that server pretty frequently when I play TF2, so I could suggest them whenever you guys finish.

Exactol, I'm afraid I jumped to conclusions when I said I'll add it. I wasn't thinking that these guys don't want maps in development. They want finished, fully detailed maps. Your map looks pretty complete from what I can tell, I just want to check with you that b2 is the final version and I'll add it.

Last edited:

Exactol

Certified Hammer Hacker
aa
Jul 11, 2013
It might be the final version, I'm not sure if I will continue it. Add it if you want.

GooGuGajoob

L12: Pro-crastinator
Mar 28, 2014

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Daft and the server made their decisions on the maps we suggested. Only Suijin was added to the rotation, the rest are on chilling on the server.

Their main complaint was size. Most of the maps were too small for a 24 player server. The download link for Arakawa was broken as well so we couldn't get that (could someone link me theirs?), and Bakscratch has not been tried yet.

So does anyone know of some big maps we could try out? Daft is still open to the idea of new maps.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Daft and the server made their decisions on the maps we suggested. Only Suijin was added to the rotation, the rest are on chilling on the server.

Their main complaint was size. Most of the maps were too small for a 24 player server. The download link for Arakawa was broken as well so we couldn't get that (could someone link me theirs?), and Bakscratch has not been tried yet.

So does anyone know of some big maps we could try out? Daft is still open to the idea of new maps.

Late, but I find it strange that you say that, as backlot was optimized to have 24 players.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Late, but I find it strange that you say that, as backlot was optimized to have 24 players.

I'm just the messenger, Daft tells me the map is too small for the server, or at least most people felt so. And the dynamic aspect was apparently not appreciated, though I can't see why not.

Mar 23, 2013
Fair enough, to each their own!

backlot is a pretty small arena map, one of the smallest custom arena maps i have seen actually. Do you remember the PM I sent you because excatly for that reason?

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2013
Yes, but you were playing it for something other than it's intended purpose, so I'm not surprised.

I've also forgotten about doig those changes for you, whoops.

Yeah but its deffinitly smaller then other arena maps

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
So Ferrous and Discovery were playtested today and it apparently went well, though I wasn't able to participate. Discovery will be added to the regular rotation and Ferrous is going to get retested soon because Daft is undecided after today.

I heard there were quite a few content creators from TF2M there playtesting with the server, which is awesome! I came and played later with a few other regulars of TF2M. It's great to see you guys coming out and supporting the maps!

Next time we do another playtest, I encourage all of you guys to get involved and come support your mapmaking community! Join the ArenaFortress group in the OP to get updates of playtesting events.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
Back again folks! I found a new arena server that will host arena maps and already has a good playerbase. It's called Arena Respawn. It was made a few days ago by a chap named awk and is based on the west coast of the U.S. The server is not a true arena server however, it uses a new plugin created by the owner that changes the dynamics of capping. The plugin changes capping so that when a team caps, all the dead players on their team are revived with a 3 second uber. Cap times have been significantly lowered to accommodate this. I've played on the server for a few hours already and it's loads of fun. He already has Yunshu, Suijin, Backlot, and soon to be Hardhat. I'll edit the original post to reflect Daft's server and awk's server custom map status.

Last edited:

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
So awk and I threw a bunch of our maps up on the server tonight, as you'll see in the OP. I got Egan and Frozen and a couple other people from TF2M to join up and we played Frozen's Backlot and Egan's Discovery, which went really well. People loved the maps and awk's plugin really lent itself to the gameplay. Extine, a popular TF2 competitive caster, also played with us throughout the testing, which was loads of fun (YAAAAAAOOOO). I think awk is pretty much going to keep all the maps I've suggested in the rotation for the foreseeable future. Egan recorded and will be uploading to his channel soon. Oh yeah and Frozen may be making a plugin-specific version of Backlot for the server at some point if we can compile a list of things that could be changed to be more cohesive with the plugin. So if you haven't already, you really should check out this server, the plugin makes arena much more enjoyable.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
It was really fun, I don't even like arena but this plugin is so good I had to favorite the server.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
bak joined us this afternoon to test out Ferrous and Yunshu. All of bak's maps suck and his "secrets" are really dumb. Other than that cool maps. Seriously we had fun and Yunshu was probably my favorite so far. If you haven't already, please do come check out the server, there are some great maps and good folks over there.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
You should totally check out Byre sometime! I don't know if it'll work with the revival plugin since it has two CPs, but it's worth a shot.

seth

aa
May 31, 2013
You should totally check out Byre sometime! I don't know if it'll work with the revival plugin since it has two CPs, but it's worth a shot.

I'd love to but they just want traditional arena maps, I think. I'll ask awk.

I didn't know you finished that one, it looks good.

OK, asked awk, we'll probably throw it up next week and tweak the plugin to suit the map. Maybe have 1 cap be revival of dead teammates, and if 1 team caps both points, that'd be a game winner.

Last edited: