Areaports acting strangly

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
In regard to letting people see the .vft and map on a server, I can have the server ready for 10pm UK time (5pm Eastern/2pm Pacific) and keep it open as long as needed, though I'd like to know how many people could actually come.

Just so you know, the map is a deathrun map and the door in question is about halfway though the course. I will have sv_cheats enabled so you can use buddha/noclip/etc to do what you need to.

Otherwise, add me on Steam (http://steamcommunity.com/id/gmt_werewolf) so I can privately send you the IP, password and .zip file with the .vmf and .bsp included. I won't be online till shortly before the event though, I have Ju-jitsu practice tonight first!

Last edited:

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
That extra door you see above the 2 big doors uses the SAME brush/areaportalwindow already because I already knew that it would not work with separate sets of doors/brushes/areaportals.

Why do you say this? It would work better that way. Areaportals can do funny things when they go through solid geometry like you have. Your areaportal isn't leaking so this is probably the cause. And if you had two seperate areaportals for the two doors, you could make them normal areaportals and then link them to the doors themselves.

I can't check if this is the problem because your map crashes tf2 to desktop for me.

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
Why do you say this? It would work better that way. Areaportals can do funny things when they go through solid geometry like you have. Your areaportal isn't leaking so this is probably the cause. And if you had two seperate areaportals for the two doors, you could make them normal areaportals and then link them to the doors themselves.
I said that because I knew with 2 doors viewed from the same point would be pointless given that the red team (who run along the bottom) would only see one door, but the blue 'death' player on top would see both. If I opened the blue door early then the game would simply see an open door and render what was behind it even though the red player could not. This is owing to the fact I let the blue player progress before the red players can so that the blue player is always ahead of them.
I thought it was more sensible to treat both doors as one on purpose and use an areaportalwindow so that regardless of team, it would only be if a player was near the doors that the mass of props in the room behind this door would be rendered.

This is part of the reason why I set up a server so you could see it in action, because AFAIK, most mapper on here play standard maps that would be considered for being made official when done, whilst Deathrun and other custom maps are looked down on somewhat. So I assumed that the majority of players who read this may not have played a deathrun map and may not understand why its layout is the way it is.

I can't check if this is the problem because your map crashes tf2 to desktop for me.
On the basis that I have not sent you a copy of the packed .bsp, this does not surprise me. So, here you go - [link removed].
If you still have find the map crashing, then I don't know why because betas 01-05 have been posted on my groups deathrun server for nearly 3 months with no one crashing to desktop.

Last edited: