Areaportals Gone Crazeh

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Psy, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    So, I was running around my map checking out how things were on the rendering side when I realised that something was up with my areaportals in this area. Naturally, I decided to turn on r_drawportals 1 to see what the hell was going on.

This is what happened.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can imagine my reaction to this. It was a combination of chuckling and saying "what" several times especially when this is how far apart they are in Hammer.

[​IMG]

Now fixing this was simple. All I had to was make one areaportal 8 units wide and the other 4 units wide. I hope some of you learn from this.

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Automerging areaportals are bad news!!

Looks like you were having some pretty bad problems with them, simply misaligning their volumes even by one unit stops them merging :D

3. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    For the folks here who are going: "Whuh?"...

Areaportals that are in the exact same plane are automatically merged for some reason. Maybe it's performance, maybe it's for people trying to close off an irregular-but-flat doorway. I don't know why the engine and/or compiler does it.

So if you have two portals--that aren't touching--but have the exact same width and position along the X,Y, or Z axes, they'll merge like some Saturday-morning-cartoon robot become one huge cutting-through-walls portal that's very wide or tall. I haven't tested if this occurs along other axes as well...