areaportal brush doesn't touch two areas

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Q-Brick

L1: Registered
Feb 4, 2014
the areaportal doesn't work in game and this showed up in the compile log

The room is completely sealed with area portals placed near both entrances, does anyone know how to fix this?

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Greetings.

What do you mean by near both entrances? Can you post a screenshot?

You can use the point file to find out where your area portals are leaking. Usually it's because there is a hole in the room which connects the interior space to the exterior.

Q-Brick

Feb 4, 2014
the area portal is in the doorway filling it up, im pretty sure there isn't any holes in the room
ill post screenshot when im back at home

Jusa

aa
May 28, 2013
Areaportal brushes need to be made according to world brushes, so if your doorframes are func_detail the areaportal must overlap them. You should disable everything but worldgeometry from vis groups and take another look.

Q-Brick

Feb 4, 2014
Areaportal brushes need to be made according to world brushes, so if your doorframes are func_detail the areaportal must overlap them. You should disable everything but worldgeometry from vis groups and take another look.
how do I do that

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
theres a big list of checkboxes on the right side of hammer ... uncheck func_detail and props

Also areaportal links typically make a point file which can be loaded through the dropdown menus (map -> load point file) i think
That will add a red line that usually leads you to the issue (although with areaportals the line tends to either take you on an adventure across your entire map or be 2 pixels wide and impossible to find)

It should be noted that any leaks in your map will also break all area portals.

Q-Brick

Feb 4, 2014
point file is useless to me since it lead me to a door inside the map, and after I remove it it takes me to a prop also inside the map, the journey of leaked stuff is endless

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Right, because you don't fix leaks by removing the entity that is leaking. You fix them by plugging the holes.

A leak is a path from inside your map to the void. ALL entities will leak until you fix the holes. The areaportal error is the same thing but on a smaller scale (a building instead of the entire map).

Deleting the leaking entities is like ripping the planks off a sinking ship.

Last edited:

ethosaur

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 18, 2010
One or more of your area portals are maybe like 1 inch low causing a leak (I had a similar problem) Check very closely that your room is completely sealed and there is no displacements or func_details used to seal the room.