Area protal problems

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by The Political Gamer, Nov 18, 2009.

1. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    After noticing that I was getting about 35FPS on cp_iron_a5 I deiced to put in some area portals. And they worked! I now get about 80-120FPS depending on were I am in the map. However, there is one little bug...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right off the bat I checked and they are all open so thats not the problem. Then I looked around my map some more and found working area portals!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really would love if someone could help because without them FPS goes down the crapper. Oh one last thing r_drawportals 1 won't work so that may have something to do with it.

Thanks in advance!

2. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    It looks like you might have a leak where you haven't seal an area off properly. Oh, and r_drawportals will only work with cheats enabled.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Well the VBCT says that a bunch of them are not touching brushes when they clearly are. And yes I did turn on sv_cheats 1

4. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    'brushes' does not mean func_detail. Make sure all of your areaportals are touching World brushes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Nope they are all world brushes.

6. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    It should create a pointfile. Load it up and follow the red line. It should lead you through the areaportals that aren't sealing your map.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. UFO

UFO L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Map > Load Pointfile
    You have an area that is not closed enough. The red line will point at areaportal and go through area that should be closed. Or it will point at skybox texture and go through func_detail of closed area, func_detail should be world brush.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Are they tied to a door? It sounds like the most logical mistake you can make that doesnt give a leak. The effect you get is similar to that.

nvm, you mentioned about compile problems. Another thing to make you aware of is that maybe the portals can be too big. If they reach through a wall they might give problems on the other side of it. Also, maybe post the compile log errors so we can see what the exact error is.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  9. strangemodule

strangemodule L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    They all look like they are set to start closed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1