Area Portals -_-

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by 404UNF, Apr 8, 2011.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    I really hate to create a whole other thread for this, but it's needed. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this Area Portal issue I'm having and nothing seems to be working.

The map I'm working on is my 2Fort Achievement/Idle map.

I just ran the compile process with VIS & RAD off and noticed this was printed out:

Code:
    FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2048.0 4184.0 -420.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID 
    This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2048.0 4184.0 840.0)
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2048.0 4696.0 -420.0)
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2048.0 4696.0 840.0)
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2560.0 5120.0 612.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (3072.0 4608.0 612.0)
    Leaf 0 contents: 
    Leaf 1 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2336.0 3072.0 1864.0)
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs: 

FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (2656.0 3072.0 1832.0)
    Leaf 1 contents: 
    Candidate brush IDs:
    I tried going to each of the co-ords on the map and I was out in the void on each set of co-ords. What the hell?

Originally the issue was this:
    [​IMG]
    But now apparently it's gotten bigger since I un-detail'd several brushes in an effort to fix the problem.

Can anyone explain to me what's going on or what I'm doing wrong?

Hell, you know what'd be even better, let me know if you're awesome at doing up Area Portals and I'll RAR up the VMF file for my map, upload it to Mediafire and PM the link to you so you can check it out.

I'm getting very close to just removing every area portal on the map.

2. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    Redoing all your Area Portals might be a good first step towards fixing your issue.

Also silly question but you never know, did you compile with vrad and vvis on? You say you turned it off then got these portal errors. Just making sure you know these kinds of things happen with vrad and vvis off.

3. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    In that screenshot you didn't make the areaportal brush an areaportal.

Turn off func_details in your visgroups and pull the areaportals to the edges of the actual geometry.

4. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    This too, you have to make your areaportal brush an entity as you would a spawnroom trigger brush or a capture point trigger brush.

ctrl + t, then func_areaportal (I believe, not 100% sure off the top of my head)

5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I noticed some errors too before I even started messing with the geometry. I think they put a decompiled version of 2fort in the SDK by mistake instead of the actual source file, or something. I'd suggest that somebody email Valve and alert them to this, but the last thing I want to do is encourage even more lazy 2fort edits. No offense.

6. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah....I didnt use the included 2Fort. I DL'd a map from GameBanana, a modified CP 2Fort called cp_2fort, because it was 6MB in size whereas the bsp I extracted from the GCF was a whopping 60Mb.

I'll try the entity thing out tomorrow, as I'm sleepy.

7. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    There's your problem. You downloaded something from gamebanana.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  8. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    >_>

9. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is that all of the errors? Are any brush numbers or coordinates referenced?

It may be a portalside error causing areaportal errors rather than areaportal errors causing portalside errors. In other words, it may be a monstrous brush that is simply so big vbsp doesn't like it and all you need to do it cut it down.

Or it may be an areaportal leak, or an areaportal misligned with the surrounding world geometry, or an areaportal textured brush thats not an areaportal entity.

10. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Oh wow, I just woke up, was getting ready to head out to college in about 20mins, so I figured I'd do a quick check of one of the Area Portal brushes.

Turns out none of them are entities. Hence why they were solid when I compiled.

Plus, on the BLU side, when you come out of the main spawn and run straight into that little area with the square hole in the floor, the BLU side has an area portal brush covering the wooden section of the floor and the hole...but the red side doesn't.

So the guy who made the cp_2fort map I'm working from did a half-assed area portal job. Looks like I've got some fix-upping to do.

EDIT: To be more specific, every Area Portal was not a func_areaportal or func_areaportalwindow, but a "func_detail". What the eff.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  11. tyler

Positive Ratings:
  12. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    As a side note, have areaportals like that, where they touch each other will also cause an error.

13. honorum646

honorum646 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Don't worry, I think a lot of people have done that one before. I assumed it would make it an area portal FOR me the first time I did it.

14. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I think that's the decompiler's fault. I knew VMEX had problems with areaportals, but I don't recall exactly what it does. Pretty sure the map wouldn't have worked to begin with if the creator had done that.

So yeah, I recommend starting over using the SDK version. If you still have problems, maybe we can both get some answers.