Area portal

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Haggis, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Haggis

Haggis L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have tried using this brush in my map but when I go to compile it I see the brush I made with area portal written all over it.What do I have to do to get the brush not to show up.

2. maxtraxv2

maxtraxv2 L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    use: tools/toolsnodraw

and if its a trigger it may be some think wasn't setup right

3. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    You need to tie it to a func areaportal if you want to use area portals in your map. But what you've given, it is hard to tell what you actually want to do?

4. maxtraxv2

maxtraxv2 L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    yer need more info

5. Haggis

Positive Ratings:
    Sorry guys,im adding hint and skip brushes to my map to make it run better after compiling.I have looked at decompiled Valve maps and have seen area_portals,i have read up on them and have a little understanding of what they do but as i said before the brushes show up in my map.The area_portals in the decompiled valve maps are not tied to anything.

6. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Don't trust decompiled maps as they are NOT a true representation of the original source file.

You need to cover every face of the areaportal with tools/toolsareaportal and tie it to func_areaportal.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    Texture it with the tools/toolsareaportal texture, then select the brush and press Ctrl+T and replace the "func_detail" with "func_areaportal"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Haggis

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks guys,that has sorted it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  9. Haggis

Positive Ratings:
    LOL no it hansn't,i get a leak message when compiling,the surrounding brushes are not func_detail and after checking them again there is no space between the brushes.Does it matter if the brush has been vertexed.This is the message i get

Areaportal leak ! File: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\garbageraven\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\Kamkatcha_lab.lin
    Brush 816315: areaportal brush doesn't touch two areas

Brush 816313: areaportal brush doesn't touch two areas

10. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
  11. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    go to map-->load pointfile
    you shouldn´t be able to draw a line from one side to another, one side of the area portal needs to be closed off from the other. only things that seal off rooms for areaportals are: world brushes, areaportals, sky-brushes