Area Portal Problem

C00Kies

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2009
I started Optimizing my map and i came across a problem when compiling and it failed. I found what i believe is it and it says "Entity 1356: func_areaportal can only be a single brush". So i found any errors i made and fixed them but that didn't work.

So i made a test map trying to figure out what the problem was by make 2 brushes a func_areaportal and it didn't affect the out-come.. so I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what I did wrong.

Thanks

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\team fortress 2\tf" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_alpine_industries_a3.vmf"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jun 8 2010)
2 threads
materialPath: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\team fortress 2\tf\materials
Loading C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_alpine_industries_a3.vmf
ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
Entity 1356: func_areaportal can only be a single brush <--here

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\team fortress 2\tf" -fast "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_alpine_industries_a3"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jun 8 2010)
fastvis = true
2 threads
reading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_alpine_industries_a3.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_alpine_industries_a3.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters: -game "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\team fortress 2\tf" -noextra "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_alpine_industries_a3"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jun 8 2010)

Valve Radiosity Simulator
2 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[34 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_alpine_industries_a3.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_alpine_industries_a3.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\thatguy957\sourcesdk_content\tf\mapsrc\cp_alpine_industries_a3.bsp" "c:\program files\steam\steamapps\thatguy957\team fortress 2\tf\maps\cp_alpine_industries_a3.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified." <-- this also bothers me... it could also be this...

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
The command failed. Windows reported the error:
"The system cannot find the file specified." <-- this also bothers me... it could also be this...

This just means the .bsp file wasn't created, IE the compile was not allowed to complete. Probably because of the leak.

As for "Entity 1356: func_areaportal can only be a single brush <--here". It says exactly what it means. a func_areaportal cannot be assigned to more than 1 brush (such as using 2 different shaped brushes in combination to fill an odd shape hole). You have to make 2 seperate brushes next to each other and they will automatically merge during the compile process.

Was a point file created? that should help you identify the source of leaks within your map.

Last edited: