Area Portal Leak

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by oliethefolie, Aug 20, 2010.

1. oliethefolie

oliethefolie L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm making my first map, I'm in alpha stage at the moment and have just begun some optimization. I'm using area portals in doors and have almost done all of them, however it appears I have a leak in my areaportals. It's in one of two places probably but I have no idea how to fix it, it's also only on one side of the (symetrical) ctf map. Here is my render code thingy (my mind has gone blank):

2. alecom

alecom L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    To stop area portal leak, there cannot be a way from one side (of the area portal) to the other.
    Much like there cannot be a way from an entity in to the void.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Cynick

Cynick L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Basically, an areaportal must seal off an area similar to the way your map is sealed off from the void. What this means is that if you can go from one side of an areaportal around to the other side of the area portal without crossing world brushes (not including func_details and displacements) or other areaportals, then the areaportal has leaked.

Go Map > Load Pointfile and click load default pointfile and a red line will be drawn from one side of the areaportal that leaked around to the other side. This should help fixing the problem by seeing where needs to be sealed off.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. oliethefolie

Positive Ratings:
    Should the red line go straight throught the middle of the affected areaportal?
    If so, that areaportal (as far as I am aware is completely sealed yet there is still a leak.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  5. alecom

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    It goes around outside the areaportal too right?

6. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    i had a case with my map that area portal leaks hadn't pointed to both sides. instead the red line went off into nowhere in the shape of a '7'. I simply fixed this problem by adjusting the area portal a bit and it fixed it.

7. oliethefolie

Positive Ratings:
    It's similar to that except I really can't find where the hole is, I think I know where it's telling me it is, except I've redone that brush twice and I really can't find the hole.

8. alecom

Positive Ratings:
    In the visgroups, uncheck displacements and func_details?

9. oliethefolie

Positive Ratings:
    everything is sealed and I just can't find out what is wrong!

10. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    Erm, it shouldn't do that... perhaps the brush is invalid in some way. try deleting it and remaking it.

11. Huckle

Huckle L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Silly question perhaps but have you made sure it's not just a brush that's textured with the areaportal texture but is actually a func_areaportal entity?

If you have your selection set to solids you can make it into an entity without it applying, I've done that myself a couple of times.

12. oliethefolie

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the help but nothing seemed to work.
    I just removed all the area portals, I'll do them at a later date.