Area Portal bug on my map

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Swordz

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 27, 2009
Hello guys, i'm having a problem.

I'm making plr_hydro, using the tc_hydro vmf that valve provided with the update.

I mirrored the map, compiled, and this is what i found:

236sqq.jpg

296f529.jpg

Also, there is lots of ropes on the map:

imv6h3.jpg

EDIT: Ok i discovered what the ropes are. But the area portal thing stills there.

How do i fix those bugs?

Last edited:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
The areaportal for the mirrored door is set to open/close based on the original non-mirrored door. So basically you open the mirrored door and the areaportal is still closed as the original door is closed.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Indeed, to continue with what Psy was saying, you'll have to rework you areaportal options and probably your doors too. That means names, parents, and other related options (I/O) that may be duplicated unnecasserily and confuse the entities as to which other entities they are "firing/triggering".

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
The areaportal for the mirrored door is set to open/close based on the original non-mirrored door. So basically you open the mirrored door and the areaportal is still closed as the original door is closed.

But none of the portals are working... I alt+entered them and there is only a "Portal Version: 1"

How do i solve that :O

BagOfChips

Feb 7, 2009
copying ropes never ends well. The new ones always point to the old ones and stuff.

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
Now i added the payloads. Everything correct, but the blue payload doesn't proceed throught the paths and the red payload crashes the game when i touch it. Also the payload hud doesn't appear. Seriously what the hell :O I'm sure everything is correct!

I think sdk doesn't have support to plr. (i hope)

Last edited:

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
The carts have to be facing right in the overhead view of the map. they self align when the map starts.

TracerDX

L3: Member
Jun 9, 2009
And once again. All names need to be unique. path_tracks, func_tracktrains, etc. You can't just duplicate a set of entities and expect them to work without a little renaming and fixing up the I/O.

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
The carts have to be facing right in the overhead view of the map. they self align when the map starts.

They are facing right and they align when the map starts;

And once again. All names need to be unique. path_tracks, func_tracktrains, etc. You can't just duplicate a set of entities and expect them to work without a little renaming and fixing up the I/O.

Everything is unique :/ Blue things ends with BLUE and red things end with RED

Now i used the entity system library and the blu cart dissapeared and the red cart is on the wrong place :/

I think it's hydro's hidden cp entities that it's fucking my map :mad:

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well if all else fails, make your own original map from scratch. :p

I could probably fix it for you if you uploaded the vmf and had a look myself to see whats happening. But i don't endorse the release of modified Valve maps so you'll have to get someone else who doesn't care so much about authorship and principles. Sorry bud.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I've had several issues with the PLR gamemode such as crashing when entering the pushzone, no BLU/RED payload HUD, etc, etc. If one of these issues came up I simply copied and pasted the entities from ABS' gametype library and it seemed to fix it even though everything appeared to be exact same.

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
Well if all else fails, make your own original map from scratch. :p

I could probably fix it for you if you uploaded the vmf and had a look myself to see whats happening. But i don't endorse the release of modified Valve maps so you'll have to get someone else who doesn't care so much about authorship and principles. Sorry bud.

But valve released them so they don't care :/

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
But valve released them so they don't care :/

Yes, but we are not valve. While I realize Valve has said EDIT OUR MAPS, I think they were going for a way to see how the community would further balance their maps as we see fit with the extra changes to terrain or health, not change the gametype itself. Basically, we just wish people would start a scratch map. It also helps with problems like this, where you would learn about all this as you go.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
I lol'd at the ropes
Also, get out, tf2maps isn't what you think it is. This site is for people who actually spend time and effort on their maps, not for people who spend 5 minutes to copy, paste, and mirror an existing map and then wonder why it doesn't work.

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
I lol'd at the ropes
Also, get out, tf2maps isn't what you think it is. This site is for people who actually spend time and effort on their maps, not for people who spend 5 minutes to copy, paste, and mirror an existing map and then wonder why it doesn't work.

I also made maps from scratch, like this:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/92052

and this:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/81369

I was just having problem with the payload and asked, you guys don't need to shoot rockets in me :/

TracerDX

L3: Member
Jun 9, 2009
He doesn't speak for all of us (or at least, not me). But really, as I have found, this community seems to be about the development of mostly original maps, and the support of mappers learning to do that.

Alot of the members seem to get offended by decompiles and now, using the Valve vmfs. Its an artist thing I guess. ::p:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Valve didn't release the VMFs so everyone can their dog could go "LOLOLOL I MAEKZ IT PLR". Which really doesn't work well in an asymmetrical map, and touching Hydro is like touching the Mona Lisa: don't do it. It's a piece of art and you're only going to screw it up. Make a PLR map from scratch. It'll be better for everyone.

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
Valve didn't release the VMFs so everyone can their dog could go "LOLOLOL I MAEKZ IT PLR". Which really doesn't work well in an asymmetrical map, and touching Hydro is like touching the Mona Lisa: don't do it. It's a piece of art and you're only going to screw it up. Make a PLR map from scratch. It'll be better for everyone.

I'm thinking in a single round plr, alpine style. I'm drawing it right now :D