Area control

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by martijntje, Jul 13, 2010.

1. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have got more free time now vacation has started so I am doing a bit of mapping again.

I have been thinking about a new gamemode. You basicly have all kinds of landmarks wich a team can conquer, when a timer runs out The team owning the most points wins (in case of a tie: overtime until one teams captures one more point

In mappers language:
    it is a control point map with a lot of control points with are always unlocked and can be rapidly/instantly be capture. The team to capture the most points by the time the timer runs out wins.

My thought is to use about 40 points, initially half of them owned by red, other by blu, 5 second cap time on a arena/koth size map

My questions to this community

Has this been tried before, if so how did it work?

if not attempted before, Do you think this would be a fun gamemode?

How difficult is it to make an accapteble hud to show progress on this gametype?

2. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    40?

I do believe the maximum points is 8 , so it would be VERY difficult.

3. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds a bit like cp_atrophy

4. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    I am aware of that. I do not intend to use actual control points but math_counter and some other entities to keep track of the score. The biggest technical problem I see is to make a nice hud to present the score.

5. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Rather than showing the points themselves on the HUD, show the number of points that each team controls. Like domination maps.

6. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    I really think 40 points are too many. Even if you managed to get the entities to count, the map would be HUGE to fit them all in (and you'd run into pretty much all caps on entities/brushes/faces/vertices)

7. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    I have no idea how domination works but I already planned on using numbers to show the scores.

8. radon

radon L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Is this supposed to be a race which team can cap faster or do you actually fight in the map?

9. Mexican Apple Thief

Mexican Apple Thief L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like dom maps which are much more fun with only a small number of points. The best dom map only had three points.

10. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    The goal is to have the most control points when the timer runs out.

Except for arena, the goal in tf2 isnt to kill other players. You merely fight other players to hinder them in reaching their goal wich also makes your goal easier (if you win)

The map will be made small enought so that there will be frequent fights as in other gamemodes

11. Mr. P. Kiwi

Mr. P. Kiwi L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    40 points in a KOTH sized map?!
    They wouldn't fit there! And if you can fit them, I don't think it would be very fun... But checking out wouldn't hurt anybody. I suggest that you'll do less then 8 points.
    Good luck with that!

12. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm, tried it out in hammer. probably could fit in 40 poins, but the floor would be made out of control points. I am going to downscale the number of points and will be using smaller models for the points themselfses

13. radon

radon L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    An other thing: Capping a point gives you 2 points.
    So if i'm a scout and just running around from cp tp cp capturing and avoiding all fights, i might win the round and possibly mess up my stats, too?
    40 points is waaaay to much

14. martijntje

Positive Ratings:
    no points will be awarded, they will be "fake" control points

15. samn

samn L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think it'll be much of a gamemode for teamplay. In maps like Badlands everyone knows where the fight is happening and which control points are in play, so the teams can all join up and push forward forward together. That just doesn't happen in a map with so many control points which can all be capped separately. No-one will know where they have to attack and where they have to defend. It'll be more logical to split up and cap whatever points you happen to come across rather than push together.